JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ7's (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj7s-36705/)

ONENICE92YJ 04-29-2003 08:32 PM

CJ7's

My friend just bought a 92 YJ not too long ago. And my other friend has a TJ. Well, I am a huge fan of the CJ7's and my friend told me that they are hard to come by. Is this true? Because I don't want a YJ or a TJ because both of my friends already have those two taken care of. And I just like the CJ's better anyway. I guess the question I am asking is how much do CJ's normally cost? And one more thing, what are some good size tires to put on the CJ's? Would 38's be too big or do you think that they would look good on the CJ's? Any help is appreciated.

mean green 04-29-2003 09:19 PM

cj7's

i paid $4000 canadian for mine so probalbly 2 to 3 grnd u.s. i didn't have to do anything to it but drive and it came with fiberglass body so a steel body should be alittle cheaper from what i have seen

good luck

knifeboy2 04-29-2003 09:29 PM

Depending where you live they can be easy or hard to find. Out west and southern states they seem to be easier to find than say Chicago. You can pay anywhere from $50 to $18,000 depending on who's selling it. Check your local auto trader magazine or online and see whats near you. They are great Jeeps once you get them running good.

SamFromCO 04-29-2003 09:36 PM

Re: CJ7's

Quote:

Originally posted by ONENICE92YJ
.....I guess the question I am asking is how much do CJ's normally cost?
It kind of depends on where you live but I would expect to pay somewhere between $2500 to $4500 for a CJ7 in decent shape. CJ5's are a little cheaper.

Quote:

And one more thing, what are some good size tires to put on the CJ's? Would 38's be too big or do you think that they would look good on the CJ's?
38's are way too big to run without some extensive modifications. A four inch lift and 33's are about the biggest tires that I would recommend unless you are going to do some major upgrades.

mean green 04-29-2003 10:03 PM

I agree with sam to put 38's on it takes some serious mods and denero i have 35's and had to do alot of mods and alot of time

ONENICE92YJ 04-29-2003 10:10 PM

CJ7's

I do see what you all are saying. The 33's will be fine for the time being. But, eventually, I want to get into the serious modding. Because I plan on doing a complete restore from the front to the back, insides, underneath the jeep, everything. I want to be able to get into magazines with this jeep. I know it will take some denero but that won't be a problem as far as the money. I hear that you can do shackle lifts on the jeeps also which raise it up a few more inches. So say if i had 4" of lift and did a shackle lift and got 2 more inches, is this true also? Do shackle lifts really give that much? Thanks for the help guys.

mean green 04-29-2003 10:13 PM

shackle lift

if you do a shackle lift of say 2" you will get 1" of lift

SamFromCO 04-29-2003 10:19 PM

Shackle lifts aren't really a great way to go. They throw your steering caster off and dig into obstacles off road. If you were going to run 37's or bigger I would recommend that you go with a Dana 60 rear axle and at least a Dana 44 front axle with a minimum of 4.88 gears. For suspension you should probably consider using 2-1/2" lift springs in a SOA setup. You'll definatly need a CV or double cardan driveshaft and some sort of anti-wrap bar for the rear axle. If you throw in some lockers you're probably looking at around ten grand by the time that you buy tires and wheels. There is a picture of my Jeep on 35's on this thread if you want to see what that looks like. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...threadid=36701

ONENICE92YJ 04-29-2003 10:42 PM

Your CJ7 is sweet. You see, I'm really gonna need help with this because I'm new to the whole offroad thing. Luckily though, I do live down in the southern states so its a bit easier to find the CJ7's here in Tennessee. My whole thing is that I'm not sure what kind of stuff I should go for because I haven't bought the CJ7 yet. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about this whole offroad stuff before I actually go buy one so I can have some knowledge about what is good and what isn't. My friend does Pro Comp stuff. Is Pro Comp the way to go or are there any other brands out there that are just as good as pro comp? Because I want to go with everything one brand. Tops, doors, lifts, winches, etc. All help is appreciated. thanks.

Jeep Daddy 04-29-2003 11:26 PM

There is no "one brand" that sells it all. I would just keep reading these posts, use the search feature, and you will find the answers you seek. The first question you need to ask yourself is what you intend to do with it. Serious off roading? Just a magazine rig? Chick magnet? beater? Daily Driver? Project to keep you busy?

Your answer to this question will determine how you should build your rig. If you want a serious off roader you need gearing, ground clearance, articulation, lockers, skids, winch and tires. You don't need a great paint job, chrome, interior etc. If you want a clean daily driver you don't need all the strength of good axles, lockers, axles etc. You want clean interior, chrome or stainless, paint etc.

Good Luck

ONENICE92YJ 04-30-2003 10:20 AM

Thats where it gets me, because I want a clean daily driver but I want to take it off road too. Arghhhh, this stuff is too confusing. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure I will come up with some solution.

Jeep Daddy 04-30-2003 04:44 PM

You CAN build a good daily driver that is clean and very off road worthy but it will cost you a bunch of money. First of all, what kind of off-roading do you plan to do? Rock crawling? The difficult trails WILL cause body damage so it's not worth it to have a good paint job on your rig unless you paint for a living and can fix it in a flash. If you just plan on going hunting, trail riding, a little mud, etc. you can have a very clean rig and make it very capable if you should need it. You will want to have strong axles with cable, electric, or pneumatic actuated locking differentials. You may want strong drive shafts, skid plates, rocker guards, good off road bumpers front and rear with swing out spare tire carrier, winch mount, recovery hooks, and possibly other stuff like gas can, water can, and hi-lift jack mounts. You will want a full roll cage - not a sport cage made from thin walled tubing. You may want off road lights - as many as you like. Wheels and tires for looks and for the type of off-roading you plan to do.

If you want a mudder for just playing around in the mud holes, you want a strong tranny, and a V8 engine. If you plan on medium trails and such, the IL6 and either the auto or 4/5-speed manual is ok. The 5 speed trannys are somewhat light duty. Read up on trannys because they vary a lot. Some trannys will only work with certain transfer cases. Read up on that. If you don't want to do a lot of reading, just buy the best rig you can get your hands on for the money you have in your budget and build that. You never get your money back out of all the mods and upgrades you put into a Jeep. Everything on a Jeep can be improved upon. It just takes money. When you get started, post your questions in a more specific way. General questions like this post are very difficult to answer because everyone is different and has different tastes. Just get a rig and plow into it.

Good Luck!

Swifgriff 04-30-2003 04:48 PM

tennesse

Hello
What part of tennesse do you live in ?
You can allways get one on ebay, sometime at a good price.
Make friends with someone who goes 4wheeling, you can learn alot............Good luck.........Buddy:)

ONENICE92YJ 04-30-2003 06:21 PM

I live in Memphis. I see some on the side of the road for sale. But I'm kinda skeptical about those. But as far as the offroad thing, I want to get in the mud but not all the time. Maybe one or two times a month. But I also want something that I will get attention in when I'm going down the road.

knowlwk@snowhill.com 04-30-2003 07:13 PM

>> But I also want something that I will get attention in when I'm going down the road. <<

CJ's always get attention going down the road... no matter what shape they are in <grin>

If its ugly... it gets attention because it has potential...

If its totally rebuilt.. it get attention because of the work that went into it..

The time now is 09:41 PM.