cj7 wiper smashed windshield frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 wiper smashed windshield frame

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
twist12

cj7 wiper smashed windshield frame

So the Driver Side wiper pivot arm in my 79 cj7 smashed the windshield frame hole. (See pic I beat the hole somewhat back in place). I disconnected the pivot arm from the short linkage arm off the driver side. I seen the the threads were stripped were the nut threads onto. (See pic).

So would the stripped threads cause the collapsing windshield frame hole.. Ive read there's lack of support due to thin sheet metal. Any tips on how to fix this??

I was thinking if the threads were the problem to die new threads?

10658570_10152700439149235_4508966108778435661_o.jpg   10688030_10152700439289235_7706616592635033431_o.jpg  
twist12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, the stripped threads caused the failure.

The nut on my driver's side loosened and caused the same sheet metal buckling. I beat mine back into shape, then reinforced the sheet metal with a modified washer from the inside, then put everything back together. Fixed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
twist12

Was you able to die new threads
Unread 09-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Matt,

Would it be possible to post a picture some time of your fix? I have the exact same problem and have been too frustrated to address it due to a lot of time already spent on the issue with no success. It sucks have wipers that want to work but don't! I still haven't even bent back the buckled windshield frame yet!!??!!!??
Joncure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
Matt,

Would it be possible to post a picture some time of your fix? I have the exact same problem and have been too frustrated to address it due to a lot of time already spent on the issue with no success. It sucks have wipers that want to work but don't! I still haven't even bent back the buckled windshield frame yet!!??!!!??
Well, I'd have to pull my dash pad off, and disassemble my wipers to show you the fix, and I don't really care to do that.

IIRC, I took a fender washer and drilled the hole to fit over the wiper stud. I also had to cut a notch so the washer would fit over the little tab on the stud. Stick the washer on the stud, then assemble the wipers as usual. It worked for mine.

Matt
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

My washer fix didn't last, the omix frame was just too thin. I ended up cutting the holes out of my old frame and moved them over. That was one area not rusted out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's the idea, only this guy used a small piece of sheet metal to reinforce the windshield frame.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...ssues-1509645/

It's a common problem on CJs, with a common fix.

Matt
Unread 09-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Matt!
That link was very helpful.
Joncure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

There was a factory recall for YJs that had wiper problems; same issues, would tweak the frame.
The factory made a reinforcement plate that you attached (read: glued) to the inside of the frame.
It was sandwiched between the pivot and w/s frame if I recall.
It had the correctly notched holes so the w/s frame didn't have to be replaced.
It was one piece construction and extended from hole to hole.
Unknown if that plate or part is still available.
It also might fit the CJ models.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
There was a factory recall for YJs that had wiper problems; same issues, would tweak the frame.
The factory made a reinforcement plate that you attached (read: glued) to the inside of the frame.
It was sandwiched between the pivot and w/s frame if I recall.
It had the correctly notched holes so the w/s frame didn't have to be replaced.
It was one piece construction and extended from hole to hole.
Unknown if that plate or part is still available.
It also might fit the CJ models.
Someone just gave me a couple of YJ wiper holes off his rusted frame because my passenger side one is now blown and they have those reinforcing plates on them. These ones are factory by the looks of them and about 6" long, they sandwhich between the inner and outer skin. I might just try cutting one out and see if I can fit it in behind my hole.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 09-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

While I agree reinforcing the inside of the frame is good, I'm not sure it addresses the problem completely.

What I did was remove the wiper motor and elongated the 3 mounting holes so the motor and gear box would slide to the drivers side around 1/8". This solved my problem with locking up of the linkage.

While watching the linkage work and seeing it lockup, it seemed to me the passenger side was the main problem. The passenger wiper pivot was moving to far, (close to vertical) to the passenger side. Moving the motor solved this problem,
You may need to move the wipers 1 spline to make up for this.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
While I agree reinforcing the inside of the frame is good, I'm not sure it addresses the problem completely.

What I did was remove the wiper motor and elongated the 3 mounting holes so the motor and gear box would slide to the drivers side around 1/8". This solved my problem with locking up of the linkage.

While watching the linkage work and seeing it lockup, it seemed to me the passenger side was the main problem. The passenger wiper pivot was moving to far, (close to vertical) to the passenger side. Moving the motor solved this problem,
You may need to move the wipers 1 spline to make up for this.
Bill
Mine locked up the other way. I would need to move the motor toward the passenger side. I was looking at my old photos and at that time I figured the wiper pivot holes weren't in the correct place causing the binding if the frame flexed even slightly.
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
twist12

Turned put the threads on the pivot arm were crossed threaded badly letting the pivot arm move freely in the windshield frame.

Simple fix. Died new threads into the pivot arm. And made sure the notch was lined up with outside windshield frame.

The ends of the internal wiper arms flexed and got bent. So I had to bend them to fit onto the pivot arm shaft.

Thanks for the comments and ideas.
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

I ended up putting a pin running through my pivot and windshield frame, of course I also welded the notch back up and recut it for a tight fit. The pin is there to take some of the stress off of the notch.
Next time I'm going to weld the hole up, add a piece of metal behind it and find another style of wiper arm pivot to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.