CJ7 Wiper Motor woes.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Wiper Motor woes....

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
shadetree

CJ7 Wiper Motor woes....

Jeepers,

This is just an informative post regarding the brand new Windshield wiper motor that I picked up from Advanced Auto. First I want to say that this is not Advanced Auto's fault. Now the meat and potatoes....I have the four wire, non-intermittent wiper motor/switch set-up. Well, after the installation I couldn't get it to work. I have been searching on here and found several posibilities or reasons why the motor didn't work. I added an additional ground to the motor. I went pin to pin trying to get power and checking for ohms. So on and so on...then I mentioned to a friend that I read on here earlier that sometimes the remanufacturer install the wires in the connector backwards. So we popped the pins out with a jeweler's flat tip screwdriver and reset them in the exact opposite order and tested the wipers. System fixed!!!

I would reccomend to the next person that is trouble shooting this type of gripe that they try reversing the wires before getting frustrated.

Good luck to all.

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

Nice work,thanks for taking the time to post it
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Good job. What were the symptoms you were having? Blowing fuses? Not moving?
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
shadetree

The wipers had just quit working. So I was dropping the windshield and removing the dash pad in order to get to the motor and I found lots of rust on the windshield frame. So....I picked up a windshield frame from a local guy on Craigslist and I painted. After the new glass and second inner seal was installed professionally I bolted up the new motor. New Cowl seal and the wiper motor cover went on next. So, I pulled the steering column brackets off the firewall and then opened up the instrument plate and held it up with safety wire to keep the tension off of all my electrical wires running to the guages. I found alot of "butchery" on my harness so I removed all the "duct tape" and used connecters and electrical tape to correct. I then seperated several grounds and remounted them. I also had my son take a wire brush to the posts on the metal fuse in order to remove some slight corrossion. Once it was all done I don't have any complaints. I would like to add that when I re-installed my motor linkage I used a polyurethane flat washer agains the outside edge of the windshield frame. I didn't have any gasket material and I thought maybe this would help keep things from binding and warping my windshield frame. This frame is the old style that doesn't have the support groove inbetween the wipers.

Currently I'm stripping away rust (rocker guards, tail gate, floor pans/hood) and treating all the rusty surfaces with a chemical treatment called Ospha (sp?). Sometimes you have to treat the metal more then once but you can try it and I guarantee you'll see the results/chemical neutralization.

-1994 ZJ Lifted and Locked...
-1983 CJ7 4.2ltr/Dana 300/Warn F&R bumpers...and some other goodies.

D.W.A. (Death Wobble Anonymous)
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
I found alot of "butchery" on my harness so I removed all the "duct tape" and used connecters and electrical tape to correct.
Just a word to the wise, there is factory 'duct tape' in the CJ harness on wire connections that get hot, electrical tape will melt and fall off. I know specifically the ballast wire has duct tape, not sure about any under the dash though so yours may have just been butchered.

Good catch on the motor wiring!
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

You can switch to intermittent wipers if you have the dash mounted switch by changing the switch and adding the harness and box.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
algator
1985 CJ7 

Same inverted wire issue on new 4wire motor

I just had the same inverted wire issue with a new 4wire motor on my stock intermittent wiper set-up (85 CJ7.)

This post/thread really saved me a ton of additional headache. As suggested earlier, I just popped wires out and re-inserted them in the exact opposite sequence in the plug and all is great now!

Symptoms were...the motor would just run on medium and the switch did absolutely nothing. I even replaced the pricey intermittent switch.

For others buying/installing aftermarket 4wire motors...the new wires on mine are WHITE-BROWN-YELLOW-GREEN. The plug did have the correct letters A-B-C-D, which matched up fine when plugged in...but just didn't work. I swapped the wires as a last resort and "leap of faith" off this thread. Very glad I did so!

Thanks for this informative posting.
algator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This article helped. I just bought a reman 4 wire motor from Oreilly a few days ago and had the same problem. After changing the order of the wires, the motor worked great. I should add that I have the intermittent wipes.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
jshu01
1986 CJ7 

I had the same problem. Got a replacement Omixada wiper motor and when the ignition is on the motor just goes regardless of the switch position. I foud this old thread and thought I give it a try. Flip the wires around and now it works perfect!
thanks!
jshu01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshu01 View Post
I had the same problem. Got a replacement Omixada wiper motor and when the ignition is on the motor just goes regardless of the switch position. I foud this old thread and thought I give it a try. Flip the wires around and now it works perfect!
thanks!
When mine work, they run continously like you stated. Now ,how did you get the pins out to switch them?
Mine woun't budge.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
jshu01
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
When mine work, they run continously like you stated. Now ,how did you get the pins out to switch them?
Mine woun't budge.
I took a small flat head screwdriver (like the ones for glasses) and pushed in on one side of the pins. The electrical pins clips in to the plastic plug end.
jshu01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
scott5763
1986 CJ7 

I am another thankful reader, I just went through the same thing. The motor is stuck in high because it is receiving a constant hot from the parking position. I made the mistake of thinking that if it was wired incorrectly the switch would make something change when moved to any other position. After replacing the switch and getting the same result - I decided to read up. 25 $ mistake.

I had already replaced the connector (motor to switch) - it was all gummed up with corrosion. This was my first attempt to resolve non working wipers. Then replaced the motor. Since I used a trailer light 4 wire plug to replace the connector I could just move the wires here instead of inside the motor.
scott5763 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Don't forget to add a dedicated ground from the wiper motor case to the dashboard. You'll be suprised at the difference it makes.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
TJTony
1985 CJ7 

This is the freakin post of the year! This needs to be in a list of things you NEED to know about aftermarket parts!
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
DENVAR03
1986 CJ7 

mike
i saw your post on duct tape.while i was trouble shooting my wires on my86,i removed some duct tape,and retaped with blk. elect. tape,now you got me worried!!!.what should i use to make it safe again!!!.

dennis
DENVAR03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.