JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   CJ7 Wiper Motor woes.... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj7-wiper-motor-woes-898031/)

shadetree 11-09-2009 11:28 AM

CJ7 Wiper Motor woes....

Jeepers,

This is just an informative post regarding the brand new Windshield wiper motor that I picked up from Advanced Auto. First I want to say that this is not Advanced Auto's fault. Now the meat and potatoes....I have the four wire, non-intermittent wiper motor/switch set-up. Well, after the installation I couldn't get it to work. I have been searching on here and found several posibilities or reasons why the motor didn't work. I added an additional ground to the motor. I went pin to pin trying to get power and checking for ohms. So on and so on...then I mentioned to a friend that I read on here earlier that sometimes the remanufacturer install the wires in the connector backwards. So we popped the pins out with a jeweler's flat tip screwdriver and reset them in the exact opposite order and tested the wipers. System fixed!!!

I would reccomend to the next person that is trouble shooting this type of gripe that they try reversing the wires before getting frustrated.

Good luck to all.

Lordwrench 11-09-2009 12:05 PM

Nice work,thanks for taking the time to post it:cheers2:

John Strenk 11-09-2009 12:11 PM

Good job. What were the symptoms you were having? Blowing fuses? Not moving?

shadetree 11-13-2009 10:15 AM

The wipers had just quit working. So I was dropping the windshield and removing the dash pad in order to get to the motor and I found lots of rust on the windshield frame. So....I picked up a windshield frame from a local guy on Craigslist and I painted. After the new glass and second inner seal was installed professionally I bolted up the new motor. New Cowl seal and the wiper motor cover went on next. So, I pulled the steering column brackets off the firewall and then opened up the instrument plate and held it up with safety wire to keep the tension off of all my electrical wires running to the guages. I found alot of "butchery" on my harness so I removed all the "duct tape" and used connecters and electrical tape to correct. I then seperated several grounds and remounted them. I also had my son take a wire brush to the posts on the metal fuse in order to remove some slight corrossion. Once it was all done I don't have any complaints. I would like to add that when I re-installed my motor linkage I used a polyurethane flat washer agains the outside edge of the windshield frame. I didn't have any gasket material and I thought maybe this would help keep things from binding and warping my windshield frame. This frame is the old style that doesn't have the support groove inbetween the wipers.

Currently I'm stripping away rust (rocker guards, tail gate, floor pans/hood) and treating all the rusty surfaces with a chemical treatment called Ospha (sp?). Sometimes you have to treat the metal more then once but you can try it and I guarantee you'll see the results/chemical neutralization.

Mike Romain 11-13-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadetree (Post 8284853)
I found alot of "butchery" on my harness so I removed all the "duct tape" and used connecters and electrical tape to correct.

Just a word to the wise, there is factory 'duct tape' in the CJ harness on wire connections that get hot, electrical tape will melt and fall off. I know specifically the ballast wire has duct tape, not sure about any under the dash though so yours may have just been butchered.

Good catch on the motor wiring!

carnuck 11-13-2009 01:11 PM

You can switch to intermittent wipers if you have the dash mounted switch by changing the switch and adding the harness and box.

algator 12-13-2009 07:21 AM

Same inverted wire issue on new 4wire motor

I just had the same inverted wire issue with a new 4wire motor on my stock intermittent wiper set-up (85 CJ7.)

This post/thread really saved me a ton of additional headache. As suggested earlier, I just popped wires out and re-inserted them in the exact opposite sequence in the plug and all is great now!

Symptoms were...the motor would just run on medium and the switch did absolutely nothing. I even replaced the pricey intermittent switch.

For others buying/installing aftermarket 4wire motors...the new wires on mine are WHITE-BROWN-YELLOW-GREEN. The plug did have the correct letters A-B-C-D, which matched up fine when plugged in...but just didn't work. I swapped the wires as a last resort and "leap of faith" off this thread. Very glad I did so! :2thumbsup:

Thanks for this informative posting.

contdevelop 06-19-2010 03:30 PM

This article helped. I just bought a reman 4 wire motor from Oreilly a few days ago and had the same problem. After changing the order of the wires, the motor worked great. I should add that I have the intermittent wipes.

jshu01 10-16-2010 10:37 AM

I had the same problem. Got a replacement Omixada wiper motor and when the ignition is on the motor just goes regardless of the switch position. I foud this old thread and thought I give it a try. Flip the wires around and now it works perfect!
thanks!:thumbsup:

SlikRic 10-16-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshu01 (Post 10291842)
I had the same problem. Got a replacement Omixada wiper motor and when the ignition is on the motor just goes regardless of the switch position. I foud this old thread and thought I give it a try. Flip the wires around and now it works perfect!
thanks!:thumbsup:

When mine work, they run continously like you stated. Now ,how did you get the pins out to switch them?
Mine woun't budge.

jshu01 10-16-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlikRic (Post 10291994)
When mine work, they run continously like you stated. Now ,how did you get the pins out to switch them?
Mine woun't budge.

I took a small flat head screwdriver (like the ones for glasses) and pushed in on one side of the pins. The electrical pins clips in to the plastic plug end.

scott5763 04-25-2011 10:25 PM

I am another thankful reader, I just went through the same thing. The motor is stuck in high because it is receiving a constant hot from the parking position. I made the mistake of thinking that if it was wired incorrectly the switch would make something change when moved to any other position. After replacing the switch and getting the same result - I decided to read up. 25 $ mistake.

I had already replaced the connector (motor to switch) - it was all gummed up with corrosion. This was my first attempt to resolve non working wipers. Then replaced the motor. Since I used a trailer light 4 wire plug to replace the connector I could just move the wires here instead of inside the motor.

CJ Chet 04-26-2011 07:18 AM

Don't forget to add a dedicated ground from the wiper motor case to the dashboard. You'll be suprised at the difference it makes.

TJTony 05-25-2011 12:20 PM

This is the freakin post of the year! This needs to be in a list of things you NEED to know about aftermarket parts!

DENVAR03 09-02-2012 09:12 PM

mike
i saw your post on duct tape.while i was trouble shooting my wires on my86,i removed some duct tape,and retaped with blk. elect. tape,now you got me worried!!!.what should i use to make it safe again!!!.

dennis

The time now is 04:12 AM.