CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problems

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
BillsFan
1986 CJ7 

CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problems

Hello, I recently purchased a 1986 CJ7.

Among its many issues is the fact that the windshield wipers don't work. I tested the wiper motor and found it was bad so I replaced it. The wipers went 1/2 way and stopped. So I proceeded to tear apart the wiper assembly in the windshield frame. I found that when the wipers reached a certain angle they bound which actually caused one of the stamped holes where the wiper arm pokes through to collapse! It now has no integrity and collapses easily.

So what's the easiest fix? New windshield frame? New guts? Alternate system?

Any help for a new Jeep owner would be appreciated!

Thanks!

BillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Replace the internals of the wipers. That will fix your problem, and make sure you follow the instructions =)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55305_00.htm

only 80 dollars, might be able to find it else where but I think thats a fair price myself. Though they are a little high on shipping since they bundle things by price. They say its easy but I found it to be a pain in the ***.
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Known problem that continued on into the early YJ's until Chrysler finally fixed it. You need to get a new design windshield frame...it will have a reinforcement ridge that runs across the frame between the wiper bungs.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

First off, congrats on the CJ purchase.
Second, SAFETY! IF the wipers went half way and stoped, you could lose a finger if/when you free them because there is a second brass contact ring in the motor housing that continues the power to the motor to return the wipers back to the home position. BE CAREFUL.
The reason for the collapse is a arm is worn or bent and put the rest of the system in a bind.....till the weak link exposed, the sheetmetal.
If the sheetmetal isn't torn, gently remove all the wiper components and check that the ends of the arms are straight and in line with the rest of the arm. Rebend as needed. If the brass bushings have oval holes instead of round ones, replace them. As for the WS frame, use a large socket and gently tap the stamped metal back into shape..I take it the drivers side is the damanged one? Most are. Then find a fender washer (large thin washer) with either the correct inner hole size as the pivot unit OR the correct outer diamater as the stamped recessed area and grind the other end to match. You will need the make the little notch too. You'll see what I mean. Install this inside the frame between the pivot unit and the sheetmetal. This will sink the drivers side pivot unit deeper in the frame only by the thickness of the new washer. You'll still have lots of room for the outer nut. This will strengthen the area a lot. I did this one my buddies Jeep with the same problem as yours...worked like a champ and been many years.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Last edited by only in a jeep cj; 03-15-2007 at 09:37 PM..
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
ttrem
1986 CJ7 

Thats weird cause all i did was replace my internals when i had this problem on my new frame. After that it worked fine.

hmm after rereading his problem I guess I didnt read all the way the first time cause I didnt remember seeing him say the metal buckled.
Unread 03-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I had this problem when I first got my CJ7. I could force it up and it would complete like 3/4 of a cycle and then jam.

What happened was the windshield frame around where the wiper connects to the motor was bent in and jamming things up.

All I did was remove the wiper, put a socket on the round piece where the wiper snaps on to, and bent the fram eback into shape. 5 minute fix, didn't have to remove the motor, and I haven't had the same problem since.

Good luck!

Michael

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
BillsFan
1986 CJ7 

Thanks!

Thanks guys!
Unread 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
BillsFan
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
Known problem that continued on into the early YJ's until Chrysler finally fixed it. You need to get a new design windshield frame...it will have a reinforcement ridge that runs across the frame between the wiper bungs.
Jeepskate, how do you know if the windshield frame is the 'new' design? Would any of the replacement parts from Quadratec, etc... be the new design?

Thanks!
Unread 03-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
Patf10

i have basically the same problem on my 74 cj. i have a replacement (omix) frame and it binds and the frame is cracked, second time, im gonna start loking for a OEM frame even if it needs a little work it will be worth it
Patf10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
slacker92104

I had to get a new windshield frame. I tried bending the hole back into shape, but the metal was fatigued and would just bend again. I even tried the washer idea. I got the frame from quadratec and it has a ridge stamped in it that runs between the two holes. This reinforces them a lot. It's easy to tell the difference. Once I got the new frame, I took some time positioning the wiper motor. It moves a bit on it's mounts, and can cause the system to bind if it's too close or too far from the wipers.
Unread 03-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
Oily
1985 CJ7 

I realize that wipers are needed for inspection. However, the efficiency of Jeep wipers is at best almost adequate.
Rain X is a great product. You don't even need wipers.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
rkinks35
1985 CJ7 

I just started having the same problem, I turn the wipers on and they forcefuly wipe and then just stop on the open, then I have to stick my hand out and push them back to restart (right) side. It looks like they are becoming pushed out from underneath the window because there are lumps and the paint is peeling. Dont remember it looking like that before. PLEASE HELP!
rkinks35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
BobbyBlakFinger
1979 CJ5 

I've had this problem for so long! I bought a new motor, switch, and windshield frame(old one was rusted) the new frame bent and now the only way I can get the wipers to work is to dis-connect the linkage and manually move the arm on the driver side needless to say I don't drive it in the rain. I'm glad to find this thread and I will try some of these suggestions and update when I finally get it fixed.
BobbyBlakFinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
jarrodblake
1997 LJ Wrangler 

Ok I have had this problem since I bought my 79 cj7. I had replaced the frame 2 months ago and today was the first time I had really used them in the rain and the broke a gene, is there anything I can do to fix this. The op had new linkage in it when I bought it I was wondering if this would fix it. Maybe with the longer wiper motor arm it would put less stress on the frame so it dose not bind up? thoughts...WipeBoy
jarrodblake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I emailed the guy over at WipeBoy a while back and he said that system will not solve the jamming problem.. it would probably only make it worse.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.