Cj7 Winch Mounting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 Winch Mounting

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
EmpireIllusion
1986 CJ7 

Cj7 Winch Mounting

I bought a 86 cj7 recently and have been working on it ever since. My latest addition is that i bought gorilla winch to put on it. After looking at a few winch plates that are out there and how they are mounted i dont see why i cant just mount the winch directly to the plate that is welded to the frame already behind the front pumper. Is there any down side to doing this or is it completly necessary to buy a mounting plate.

EmpireIllusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Yes you can mount it to that plate, but I wouldn't do it. The reason is that plate isn't necessarily very thick steel. If you ever got into a heavy pull situation, and it bent that plate you'd be in for a lot of trouble. Remember that the steering box is partially mounted to that as well.

The best winch plate you can buy is the Warn one. That's what I run, it's real beefy and mounts to the side of the frame with 2 brackets where it's not going to bend at all. It may be a lot more expensive to go with the Warn plate, but well worth the money!
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireIllusion View Post
I bought a 86 cj7 recently and have been working on it ever since. My latest addition is that i bought gorilla winch to put on it. After looking at a few winch plates that are out there and how they are mounted i dont see why i cant just mount the winch directly to the plate that is welded to the frame already behind the front pumper. Is there any down side to doing this or is it completly necessary to buy a mounting plate.
The plate diretly back of your bumper is relatively thin and is your front frame cross member. Bend this and your steering goes haywire too, since it is also a mounting point for your steering gearbox. It's not made for taking the stresses that a winch can generate. A well designed winch mount directs the pulling forces to the frame rails. This is a pic of a Warn mount on a CJ-5.
jeepwinch.jpg  
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
EmpireIllusion
1986 CJ7 

Thanks, im gonna go ahead and order one of the warn winch plates on monday
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

What kind of winch did you buy?
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
EmpireIllusion
1986 CJ7 

I bought a 10,000 pound gorilla winch but the plate that gorilla makes doesnt have the sides on it, it just mounts directly on top of the plate already there. Most people say thats a bad thing not having the sides bolted down to the frame too so the warn mount looks like the best way to go
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have even bent the warn plate, on my first self extraction too! That would have wrecked the stock plate down there.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
EmpireIllusion
1986 CJ7 

what are you using now then do you still have the warn plate on or did you do something different
Unread 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Mine has done fine and it has done some severe pulls. I was recovering a 3/4 ton truck stuck in some thick mud bottomed out everywhere. I had the rear end strapped to a large cypress tree using my tow hooks and my rear wheels were off the ground. My winch almost didn't have enough umph to pull it, but it got it out. Let's just say if my frame wasn't straight it is now, and my Warn plate took it just fine.
Unread 03-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB8HaVeN View Post
Mine has done fine and it has done some severe pulls. I was recovering a 3/4 ton truck stuck in some thick mud bottomed out everywhere. I had the rear end strapped to a large cypress tree using my tow hooks and my rear wheels were off the ground. My winch almost didn't have enough umph to pull it, but it got it out. Let's just say if my frame wasn't straight it is now, and my Warn plate took it just fine.
Good way of turning a CJ-7 into a CJ-8
Unread 03-31-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireIllusion View Post
what are you using now then do you still have the warn plate on or did you do something different
I still have the bent warn plate on. I bent it down on a reverse pull and kinked the fairlead opening.

I mean really, why do we put winches on up front anyway? I never seem to find a swamp when driving in reverse.....

I had to crawl under in the muck and feed my winch line under my bumper, then under my axles and out the back to a tree. It worked, but...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i bought a ramsey rep 8000 for my cj-7 a few years ago.

they make a very good winch plate for the jeep cj-7. It has angles that attach to the sides of the jeep frame, these attach to the mount plate.

very good setup and not too hard to install. It has worked well for me, have pulled old barns over, farm equipment out of weeds and trees over as I was cutting them to insure they did not fall out buildings,

Not only does the winch look good on a Jeep but they are very handle.

But they must be mounted properly, can bend the frame of Jeep.

Check with ramsey, see what the cost of this mount setup is, worth a look.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Pfeifferj
1985 CJ7 

I have a Smittybily XRC8 winch. It was previously on my TJ until i traded it. I also had a Rough Country winch plate designed for a TJ. We cut the sides of the plate down and put a couple holes in it and mounted it to that plate that runs between the frames behind the bumper. 2 bolts near the center/outside and welded the sides to the frame. Tested it out on a hill, with the winch holding my whole jeep on a hill and it seems strong.
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
EmpireIllusion
1986 CJ7 

thanks guys im still looking around at different plates to mount
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #15
elks96
1985 CJ7 

I would vote the Warn plate. I like both of the ones I got.
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.