cj7 wheel bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 wheel bearing

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
David2012
1985 CJ7 

cj7 wheel bearing

front left wheel on my 85 started grinding yesterday so i took it to firestone tire for a free estimate. Told me it was the wheel bearing. How difficult is it to replace and pack a wheel bearing and can it be bought at discount auto or AZ? thanks.

Unread 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Well, I don't think it's hard but it depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

You will really only need three special tools... 1) the socket for the large nuts on the spindle, 2) a torque wrench, and 3) snap ring pliers.

Here's the exploded hub... ignore the images at the bottom.

Autozone carries the Timken bearings you'll need.

For removing outer bearing races... while you can drive a race out from the opposing side of the hub with a brass drift, I'd recommend you rent the race and seal driver while you're there to drive the new ones in.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
For removing outer bearing races... while you can drive a race out from the opposing side of the hub with a brass drift, I'd recommend you rent the race and seal driver while you're there to drive the new ones in.
Are most hard to get in/out? Mine practically fell out. I peened the side a bit to get them to stay in. Had there been evidence they were spinning I would have been more concerned.

The socket is a PITA to find in stores, I had to order one.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

All the hubs I worked on weren't hard to get out but they weren't loose. The old ones needed to be driven out and the new ones driven in.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
David2012
1985 CJ7 

thank you. I think a friend of mine is going to help me do it. Really dont want to spend the 180 at the mechanic.
Unread 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

you can replace wheel bearings and seals provided the hubs are in good shape for under $80 total materials (including new grease) You will want to have the spindle nut socket. Its about $8 from 4wd.com I believe and worth every penny.

You will most definitely need snap ring pliers but this can be done effectively without a tq wrench if you make sure to tighten the first nut until there is noticeable resistance when spinning the rotor then backing it off about 1/6th of a turn. And then similarly with the outer nut. I've been using this method for a while now and never had an issue.

Make sure you replace the bearings and races at the same time. Timkens from AZ are the way to go. If memory serves they are Set 45 and Set 47 for the bearings and the Timken Seal # is 493637. The race/seal drivers you can rent for free are very handy too.

There are a few fantastic writeups on doing the wheel bearings by Ken4444 and Jeephammer to check out (I did a writeup as well but have found theirs to be better illustrated)

Here's the link for mine: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/se...-pics-1037029/
and Ken4444's (starting around post 564): http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...0/index10.html
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Also replace BOTH inner and outer. The one bearing that hasn't(?) failed has been running in the metal-filled grease from the one that has.
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
David2012
1985 CJ7 

thank you all. Got it fixed and all this helped a ton. And the heads up about the socket being a pita to find was a major help. VERY late response but thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.