Cj7 weight? Too much for air shocks?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 weight? Too much for air shocks??

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
cj7350

Cj7 weight? Too much for air shocks??

Hey guys, I'm building a 79cj7 with a 350/700r4/241 in it all on tons and 4 linked, and need to know if fox 2.0 air shocks would work. They say 500LB per corner max for the 2.0s but I can't find the weight of a cj with 350 minus the axles. Iv plated some of the frame with 1/4" plate for strength, and will be adding a pretty beefy roll bar set up. That's about all I'm adding weight wise. I like the 2.0 for the price and I'm not gonna run coils just for the simplicity and less suspension parts under the jeep. Let me know what y'all think, thanks guys

cj7350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

If you fill out the profile we can look at it and answer questions. When it's blank we don't know what year it is, which transmission it is, etc.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

500 lbs per corner is only a 2000 lb car (- axles and wheels/tires.) A Jeep weighs more than that per corner. Wheels and tires are probably 75 pounds each, and a front or rear axle is probably around 200 lbs (because I can pick one up.)
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Shock towers are not designed to carry weight. Installing air shocks, especially to raise the ride height or for towing almost invariably leads to tower breakage. This is why air shocks have somewhat gone the way of the dinosaur.
Back in the day, when they were still popular, it was not uncommon to see an car or truck dragging a shock around with the bottom stud still hanging out of the eye.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.