Cj7 with wagoner axle pitman clearance issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 with wagoner axle pitman clearance issues

Wholesale pricing on raceline beadlocks - only the best atArtec NightHawk JK Front Bumper Pre-Order Special - Free BSeat Saver Trail Towels now available!

Unread 07-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Angry Cj7 with wagoner axle pitman clearance issues

Ok, I'm sure there is multiple threads on this but I've looked for over an hour and can't find the answers to my problem, so don't get all bent out of shape cause I started this thread. I have installed a 79 wagoner Dana 44 under my 81 cj7. I cut down the driver side and keep the springs under the axle. The issue now is the clearance between the bottom of the pitman tiderod and the steering tide rod,I only have about 1/2 in. The steering tide rod ends set on top of the steering knuckle ,if they were under the knuckles I'd have great clearance. So what do I need to do? If the pitman arm had a dogleg going up this also would work. Anyway this conversion has kicked my *** and just as I thought I was almost there I run into this, so HELP!!!

rberry81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
CSP

What pitman arm are you using?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #3
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Stock cj, it's flat.
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

My brain is hurting trying to see what you are talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.

What's that strange noise?
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #5
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Ok, You have your pitman arm the tid rod end goes up, the wagoner tid rods on the steering ( rod link,what ever it's called ) connects the two steering Knicks together, on the wagoner this rod sets on top of the knuckle on the old Dana 30 they conect from under the steering knuckle so I lose my clearance. I only have about a 1/2 in. From the bottom of the pitman tre to the top of the steering link. I'll try to post pics.
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Tiderod issues

Here is a pic.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry81 View Post
Ok, You have your pitman arm the tid rod end goes up, the wagoner tid rods on the steering ( rod link,what ever it's called ) connects the two steering Knicks together, on the wagoner this rod sets on top of the knuckle on the old Dana 30 they conect from under the steering knuckle so I lose my clearance. I only have about a 1/2 in. From the bottom of the pitman tre to the top of the steering link. I'll try to post pics.
In other words, your pitman arm is long enough that it places that drag link over the tie rod. You can get a steering box relocation bracket that moves the box forward or you can move your axle backward as you have located it too far forward to clear your steering. You could use a shorter pitman arm but that will limit you steering lock to lock and slow the steering down. What tie rod ends are you using as the CJ taper is a bunch smaller than the Wagoner?
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

If you move your steering box forward 1.250 inches with this mount it will cure that problem. However, it will induce other problems. One being your steering shaft may not extend enough to reach and second, you'll have to cut a rather large notch in the cross member to clear the power steering lines. Some folks aren't comfortable with that level of modification.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/jeep-...-76-86-cj.html

Unread 07-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Wangoneer tre at steering knuckles and cj tre at pitman arm
Unread 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
CSP

Pushing the box forward is about your only practical solution. The drag link (not tie rod or tide rod or tid rod) needs to go forward and going to a shorter pitman arm will reduce your steering radius.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
John N
1981 CJ8 

Been there and dealt with this....
I moved my steering box forward with the mount that moves it 1.25" forward....not enough. I ended up moving the drag link up to the top of the knuckle with a high steer arm and using a short Astro van pitman arm, reamed for a Waggy tie rod end. Steering radius is great, still some clearance issues when I get really twisted up.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

I think I have an idea,as I don't want to move the steering box or the axle, if I could mount the pitman tie rod end down wards I could maybe get enough clearence . Now I have heard about tapered shims that let you do this,has anyone tried this and where do you buy such shims?
Unread 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

P.S my pitman arm is about 7" eye to eye perhaps a 5" would work,but I relize this is going to shorten my turning radius, who sell a shorter pitman arm for a cj?
Unread 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry81 View Post
I think I have an idea,as I don't want to move the steering box or the axle, if I could mount the pitman tie rod end down wards I could maybe get enough clearence . Now I have heard about tapered shims that let you do this,has anyone tried this and where do you buy such shims?
You'll add in bump steer and the pitman arm will still hit when the axle compresses when off roading.

Unread 07-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #15
rberry81
1981 CJ7 

Ah,I hate it your probably right it might still hit but if I could shim the knuckles and mount the tiderod on the bottom I think I'd have enough clearance, as for bump steer the drag link is real close to being level so I don't see this would be an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.