CJ7 V8 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 V8 swap

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
aclphoto
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 V8 swap

I have an 85 CJ7 with the stock inline 6 258. My buddy has offered to give me a windsor 350 V8 to put in it. He's going to help me do the swap this winter... when the Jeep gets garaged for the season.

The questions are all over the board.
What will I need to modify/replace in the drive train?
Will I need to weld new motor mounts on?
will I need to replace/modify anything else?

How can I figure out the type of tranny I have?

I'm running 35 12.50 BFG MT's with stock gears right now (I Know I need to upgrade here but I'm saving for ARBs to install at the same time)

Will this be a pretty major difference?

Member Nikon Pro Services

85 CJ7 as a toy and work in progress!
aclphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

what tranny do you have? if its the t4 or t5 you need to toss it. They can't handle a V8.
If you have a 4 speed, you might have a T176 which can handle moderate V8 power, or it probably is a T4. If its a 5 speed its a T5.
Get a Ford tranny to go behind it like a T18 or NP 435 and use an adapter to mate that to your tcase.

I know that M.O.R.E. has the right motor mounts that you need. They bolt on
rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclphoto View Post

The questions are all over the board.
What will I need to modify/replace in the drive train?

Your gonna have to replace the tranny, I'd look at a T-18 or a NV3550/NV4500 depending on your budget. Your Dana 300 should be fine. The AMC 20 and a V8 and 35's WILL NOT get along well.

Will I need to weld new motor mounts on?

You will need new Motor mounts. Try Novak Adapters, they're pretty knowledgeable. Also you will need some sort of tranny adapter. At this stage, you might want to convert to a hydraulic clutch. Its probably going to be a good idea to go with a new clutch set up (disk/pressure plate)

will I need to replace/modify anything else?

Count on it.

How can I figure out the type of tranny I have?

Post up a different thread and get the answers there. Also try looking on Pirate 4x4.com, they seem to be pretty knowledgeable on engine swaps in Jeeps.

Will this be a pretty major difference?

This will be a pretty big difference. You'll enjoy it. Thank god you don't have California smog
Take this time during the planning stage and think about your electrical system (what condition is it in), fuel system components (probably going to have to use new fuel lines and pump.) Cooling system, probably a good idea to go with a new radiator. Do you want to run electric fans/water pump? Are you going to run new gauges? If so, will they be electric or mechanical. What kind of exhaust are you looking at running and how will you run it. Start mapping out costs and add more $$$ because of the unforeseen things that always pop up.

I'm finishing up my engine swap and its a lot more expensive than I thought. Try to go into it with all the information and have a good idea of what to expect.

Just my $.02
green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
UbelGeist
1978 CJ7 

Why do you want to go away from the straight 6??
UbelGeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
bowtieheep
1983 CJ7 

bear in mind windsor is a 351, that might make it easier to get parts hehe
bowtieheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
The AMC 20 and a V8 and 35's WILL NOT get along well.
the AMC20 should be just fine behind V8 power with one piece shafts. Thats the only upgrade I've done to mine and it's had ZERO problems behind my 300+HP 5.3L
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
the AMC20 should be just fine behind V8 power with one piece shafts. Thats the only upgrade I've done to mine and it's had ZERO problems behind my 300+HP 5.3L
yes it should be fine. You can also weld the tubes and add a truss if you like. The ring and pinion in an AMC20 is bigger than a Dana44.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
aclphoto
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for all the advice so far... we're still 2-3 summer months away from getting into it so planning has already started,

I do have solid rear axles

I don't mind the 258... just my buddy is giving me the windsor and going to help me install it for free (well beer of course)

Just replaced my radiator with a monstor quad core.

"The ring and pinion in an AMC20 is bigger than a Dana44." I didn't know that... hmmm so keep my AMC 20?

I have the 5 sd... so I guess my tranny is a T5?

Unread 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
aclphoto
1985 CJ7 

Green: Dana 300 = my transfer case?

Unread 08-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
rustymudder
1982 CJ7 

Check out www.novak-adapt.com they have tons of good info about all types of engine/tranny/tcase swaps.

Your cheapest tranny option is gonna be a ford t18. I just wrapped up my t18 swap and I love it. If you don't want the granny low, then get a close ratio one. It will have nearly the same gear ratios as a T4, except it will be bomb proof, no overdrive, and a really low reverse gear.

The easy part is physically putting the engine, tranny, tcase in. The hard and expensive part is everything else that has already been mentioned

Good luck with it
rustymudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/official-amc-v8-swap-thread-377983/
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
bbc
1985 CJ7 

Advance Adapters makes a complete V8 conversion kit.
Check it out.
http://advanceadapters.com/product/2...rsion-Kit.html
bbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
aclphoto
1985 CJ7 

SlikRic: Thanks for that thread... got some questions answered.... I'm going to get with my buddy and start working out a budget (and then add 100% to it LOL)

Unread 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
fish1erp
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc View Post
Advance Adapters makes a complete V8 conversion kit.
Check it out.
http://advanceadapters.com/product/2...rsion-Kit.html
Keep in mind that the AA kit is for a SB Chevy rather than a SB Ford such as the Windsor. I'm planning a 5.0 Ford crate motor swap in my CJ now and have been collecting the parts so I have a few insights. Also search under 5.0 swap for some lengthy threads on the job. I was initially going with the Jeep T-18 for this project and have the AA kit for it which allows a Dana 20 T/C to be used, but I wanted more crawl than the 2.0 Dana 20 would allow, so I sold the T-18 and am now in the market for an NP435. I plan on using the Novak kit ($600 roughly), rebuilding the NP435 in the process of swapping in the new mainshaft and then using a Dana 300 T/C (same as you have right now in your CJ) with better compounding 2.64 vs. 2.0. This allows a direct bolt up of a twin stick. In your case, you already have the Dana 300 T/C so that's less cost and the Novak NP435 and AA T-18 kits are roughly the same price so take your pick. You will need a 70s Ford truck bell housing with the butterfly bolt pattern.

Keep in mind, the trans/TC swap depends on what you plan on doing with the rig. Me, I want crawl and with 5.38 gears, a 6.34:1 first gear and a 2.64:1 T/C, I should be able to get a respectable 90:1 in my CJ-7 versus the 57.8 I get in my Scrambler with the T-18 and the Dana 20 with 4.56s. That's a huge difference. If you want street, you might consider something else as first gear will probably be unusable anyway.

In any event, stay away from the AA Ford SB motor mounts. They suck compared to the M.O.R.E. ones.

As far as the AMC Corporate 20 goes, IMHO, it's plenty tough with one piece axles with an 8 7/8" ring gear, the weak spot is the axles and the rosette welds in the pumpkin break and the tubes spin. I had a AMC 20 with Mosers and an ARB in it with 33s and never had any problems. I can't vouch for 35s.

I think the swap will be fun. Take your time, plan it out (like others said) and don't get frustrated. Take the nose off the Jeep, making access easier and be prepared to ask a lot of questions.

PS: if you need an AA adapter kit for Ford bellhousing to Jeep T-18 PM me, I've got it.
Unread 08-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

You might find the correct swap kit over at http://bjsoffroad.com (they have FSJ swap kits for Chev, Ford and Dodge) I would sooner put in a 4.6L AMC 6 stroker with the 4.0 EFI and get nearly double the HP and torque without having to buy mount conversions.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.