CJ7 Tyre & Rim Sizes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Tyre & Rim Sizes?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-19-2003, 01:57 AM   #1
Popol

CJ7 Tyre & Rim Sizes?

Hi all, take a look at the following photo and tell me if you can spot the illegal bit that will cause my car to fail its road test next week.....

Spot it?

The rear tyres stick out about one or two cm outisde of the car body both sides.. hence they are illegal and will cause the car to fail.

I stopped over at the car dealer I bought it off and he gave me 4 wheels and rims to swop (for test day) anyway the tyres were off a wrangler and the rims wouldnt fit, the bolts were a different spacing..

In the car itself it says something like maximum size H15 78 which means nothing to me here in europe.

The local car parts shop is scrathing its head as well..

The current tyres as best as I can remember are general Grabber AP 15" x 32"..

but what is that in todays metric world and what should I be looking for as a maximum tyre size in metric?

now the rims..

are actually original I am told, I just bought a 5th rim for the back, and aparently the car parts shop tells me its the same size, 15" original in chrome (probably explains why it costs 180 euros (+-180$).

The tyres are 120 euros each (120$) so while i dont mind paying for one as the spare (illegal not to have one in spain) I feel a little sick having to pay for another 4 on top ($500) as the 4 that are on it are perfectly useable for a long time to come other than they stick out one or 2 cm each side at the back, not the tread mind, just the side wall

So does anyone know in metric sizes tyres for a CJ7 should be, and upto the legal maximum..?[IMG]

Last edited by Popol; 06-19-2003 at 01:59 AM..
Popol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Popol

well rather a topsy turvy day today, firstly the rim i ordered arrived, then it turns out it is for the earlier model CJ's so the bolt holes arent the same add on to that that they have no newer model rims which leaves me with no 5th wheel..

Now, to make my head spin a little they were going to charge me 158 euros + VAT (150$ + VAT) for a pirelli Scorpion AT 32x11.5x15R tyre which was to go with the rim..

now, I did a quick check and the tyres already are 32x11.5x15R, so how the hell they thought that buying a $150+ tyre which was the same size suddenly make my jeep legal is beyond me, I walked out when they offered me $10 a tyre discount if i bought 5...

So i arrived home, opened a cold one, or two, or was it three and whilst sitting on a rock looking at the jeep wondered why on earth my tyres are illegal when the ones from the shop which are identical are legal? start as spock says with the impossible and work backwards... my tyres are the same as the shop, so obviously changing the tyres will make no difference, but why then should my tyres be wider than normal, well normal is my size, so my tyres arent wider than normal, something else must be wider than normal..

Light struck a dim place....

Crawling under the rear wheels I noticed what I can best describe as a 2" spacer between the brake shoe housing and the actual wheel!!!.

remove the spacers, car ok, save myself 5 tyres and nearly $1000 for however long it will take to get the spacers off.

Which leads me to my next question, how hard is it to take the spacers off?
Popol is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.