cj7 turn signals do not work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 turn signals do not work

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
newby671
1985 CJ7 

cj7 turn signals do not work

Im not sure where to start with this one so i thought i would ask on here and see what kind of help i can get. I recently bought an 85 cj7 and my turn signals do not work.

Brake lights and hazards work. My turn signals do not(front and rear). If i have the brake pressed and turn the signal on then the brake light goes out. If the brake is not pressed then nothing happens when i turn the signal on.

If you can help me it would be greatly appreciated. If there is anymore info needed please let me know.

newby671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Could be fuse or flasher/blinker assembly.

Since the hazard/brakes work, that eliminates the wiring from the switch so all that is left is power coming into the switch.

Get a test light and see were the power stops.

The turn signals are on a different fuse and flasher/blinker from the fuse box.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Look at your turn signal on Speedo. If the light comes on but does not blink the bulb is not working.....broken,bad ground,etc.

Hope that helps
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg6772 View Post
Look at your turn signal on Speedo. If the light comes on but does not blink the bulb is not working.....broken,bad ground,etc.

Hope that helps
Ah, i think you are saying if the light on the speedo comes on and does not blink, then the bulb in the turn signal (Front or rear) is broken or has a poor contact someplace (ground, Socker, etc.).

Since only 1 bulb is on, there is less current being drawn through the flasher unit that it never gets hot enough to start cycling.

Makes sense but I think he said his Hazards work so I assumed that all the bulbs in the turn signal circuit are working.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
newby671
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for all the help.

I forgot to mention i looked at the flasher for the turn signals and it is good and all the bulbs are working.

Any other suggestions?
newby671 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

How did you test the flasher?
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

The mechanism that activates the turn signal,under steering wheel,could have bad connections........

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Power for the turn signal starts at the flasher, goes up the column through the switch and then back down the column and out the flasher to the lights.

You should have (switched) power on one side of the flasher always. I found in my situation, the fuse block connector at the flasher just plain ol' gave out. My fix was two small "patch cords" with male and female blade connectors. (think two inch long extension cords) I had to find another source for switched power on the block and plug into it with a cord. I removed the flasher from the block, plugged a cord into the "out" socket for the flasher and patched it to the "out" of the flasher unit. I then patched my new source of power to the "in of the flasher. Remember though that you now have a different fuse controlling the turn signals. Yes the flasher is dangling in the breeze, (I secured mine with a zip tie) but until I finally tackle rebuilding my electrics, it works. No cutting was involved, so I feel good about that. Not the prettiest, but it works and again, not permanent but safe.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
.... Yes the flasher is dangling in the breeze, (I secured mine with a zip tie) but until I finally tackle rebuilding my electrics, it works. No cutting was involved, so I feel good about that. Not the prettiest, but it works and again, not permanent but safe.
That's OK, the 84 and on CJ's also have the Turn signal flasher dangling in the breeze also.

The flasher in the fuse box is only for the Hazards.
The turn Signal Flasher is hidden/dangling above the parking brake.

Tags
electrical issue , lights , turn signals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.