Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CJ7 Turn Signal Wiring Problem

36K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  aggiejon 
#1 ·
Okay, need a little help. What a great place this is...so happy to have found you all.

My passenter front and passenger front side turn signals are not working. I replaced the entire turn signal and bulb on the front but it didn't help. The old one was completely rusted out so I thought that was surely it. Nope. The wiring coming out of the fuse box is a mess. I can't tell what is going on and I have no experience in this area. I think I've traced the wires to where they enter the box but how do I tell if the problem is in the box or in the wires? I'm not a mechanic but I want to do all the work to my CJ myself unless it's a major overhaul like transmission or something. This looks like a real mess though and it's so greasy I can't even see what I'm working with. Is it okay to use degreaser on the fuse box?
Looks like one fuse controls all turn signals? If so, then it must just be in the wiring and not the box?

While I'm at it...while I was screwing with it the lights on my dash stopped working. Great. Fuses seem fine...

If anyone can link up a diagram of the wiring coming from the fuse box that would be a great start.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you look at your steering column connector under the dash it will have the dash end of the wire which goes out to the turn lamps (the dash connector then connects up to the switch). I do not have your year's wiring diagram but it may be Green with tracer for the left hand lamps, green for the right hand, two of each, one to front, one to back.

These same wires (or at least two of them) pass through the bulkhead connector, the large plug on the engine bay side of the bulkhead before going out to the lamps. If you unwrap the loom a bit you will find the same colour wire as your signal lamp.

The wires do not go to the fuse box, they go to the switch and then there is a seperate red wire from the switch that connects to the fuse box. If you have traced these wires to the fuse box you are on the wrong wires, though easy to confuse these wires if they are grimy and you are under the dash with a dim light.

Get yourself a test light and check you have voltage at the connectors and lamp and continuity out to the lamps from wherever you do find voltage. If you have voltage out to the lamp then it is a lamp or local earth issue. It may be easier to start at the lamp and then at the bulkhead connector before moving back to the steering column connector, uncovering the green with tracer wire.

These indicators are a PITA, the single wire and local earth and the crappy construction of the lamps are a continual source of problems.

Of course a PO may have rewired it as well. I have one with a much better wiring system and fuse box and relay centre mounted where you can see them all clearly but I am the lucky one. I have another CJ where a madman has been let loose on it and I am always uncovering strange things.

Cleaning the fuse box is possible but water will short your electrics so disconnect the battery and be real careful and get it internally dry.

#3 ·
The fuse box is just riding piggy back on the bulkhead connector. You can relase some clips and move the fuse box out of the way.

Test light is the best way to quickly trouble shoot this problem if your grounds are good. A bad ground can also fool a test light.

Here is a picture of the steering wheel connector BagusJeep has mentioned. A good place to start.

Here is some more tips:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/turn-signal-switch-1225607/

#17 ·
Relocated my ignition switch to the dash using a universal switch. Got tired of the cylinder falling out all the time. In the process, I ran new ignition wiring from underhood to the key. After this, my steering column bulkhead that houses the turn indicators (as well as likely other essential marker and indicator lights) have ceased to work. This is most likely since my ignition switch is no longer used on the dash.

My question is where on that plug, or on the column can I splice into my new ignition wire to trick the column plug into thinking the key is on and power the lights? Thanks

jg

#4 ·
I've been working on my turn signals. I cleaned and fixed the switch in the column. But the turn signals are still having issues. I will look and test some of the pictures and labels on the post.

But, I looked at the whole wiring diagram on the other post and have a question. How do the front lamps get grounded? I can't tell from the diagram.

Thanks for all the great info!

#5 ·
They are grunded locally from the light fitting to the grille, then via the bodywork back to an earth lead. Hardly a good earthing system but it more or less worked when everything was new.

POs may have used a short piece of wire or it will just be through the fitting.

If you want to there is a great piece by jeephammer on a dedicated earth system.

#7 ·
I agree with John. grounds, grounds, grounds!

try running a ground wire attached to the housing over to the Neg. terminal on the battery and see what you get.

also clean the housing with a scotch brite pad or sandpaper to remove all rust so you get a solid ground to the body. make sure not to loose the screws that John has listed above. without ground, the light will not work, period.

when you turn the parking lights on, does the passenger side even light up w/o the blinker on?
double check the 'flasher' itself too. its a cheap and easy replacement to try before digging into the wiring.
i had some wierd issues a while back and a new flasher helped. they're $7 at AZ

Welcome to Jeep Forum!

#9 ·
SORRY FOR CUTTING IN AGAIN!!
SORRY ,BUT EACH TIME I TRY WITH A NEW PROBLEM,EITHER YOU OR john ARE THERE TO HELP!!!!
I HAVE NO SIGNALS.i have power at the turn fuse,i have power at the flasher in line.NO POWER ,TO BULB,no power to steering column connector,at green wires NO POWER to flasher on upper left of fuse box,and no power,to harness going to rear of jeep,except for pink wire.tail lights go on with light switch.i have a plug,with an orange wire,and a black wire[HOT]inside tub at rear dr. side.i thought it might be for hard top??.i also have power to all connectors to front end.the harness is just lying over wheel,as i did not install fenders,or grill yet.does that matter,that front grounds are not connected??

dennis

#13 ·
JOHN
i have power to the inline flasher,but no power to the upper left flasher on fuse box.i have the loom,off the harness,from fuse box,to bulb socket on speedo.seems like everything goes from fuse box,through flasher,than to plug on column.that's wher the power dies,nothing going into column.when i first put the harness in jeep,and turned on key,pass. blinker worked,but in my trying to figure out dr. side,now i have nothing.can't believe it is the flasher,could 3 be bad??.shouldn'ti have power,to the connector,on column,before i replace turn sig. switch in column?

dennis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.