CJ7 Turn signal wiring HELP. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Turn signal wiring HELP.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Purplehaze1786
1980 CJ7 

CJ7 Turn signal wiring HELP.

I recently bought a 1980 CJ7 Renegade, 258. I noticed the front left turn signal didn't work, so I bought a new bulb for a quick fix...WRONG. The entire light wiring harness was butchered from years of DIY projects. So, I built my own wiring harness to replace to old. The headlights work fine (I even put a new switch in). I replaced both the HAZ and TS fuses. I checked, double checked, and rechecked all ALL the grounds. I'm getting power to the turn signals/flashers, but they won't light up now. My next step will be getting a volt tester. Likewise, i'm also getting power to the light indicators in my speedometer gauge, but the bulbs won't light up. Maybe its the voltage regulator? I'm picking my a new turn signal switch tonight to rule out that possibility as well. It seems like everything has power, but the only things that work are the headlights. Any input would be helpful...or maybe even a simple wiring schematic for idiots, since I cant seem to figure it out.

Purplehaze1786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The 1980-83 wiring schematic, found in every CJ service manual, is about as easy as it gets.

I assume you do have a manual, correct?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Purplehaze1786
1980 CJ7 

Yes, I have the manual. Everything seems wired correctly. All my end connections (where the lights plug into) have power. But...the turn signals/flashers don't work (even though my tester says it has power). The headlights work great. The rear turn signals work but are VERY dim. The only thing I can think of, is i'm not getting the correct voltage to the turn signals?
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If the hazards work, try swapping the flasher.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If you have bad grounds, the test meter may show it has power but nothing will work until the grounds are good.

A quick check is to put the voltmeter on the base of the bulb. IF it reads any voltage, the ground is bad...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Purplehaze1786
1980 CJ7 

Ok i'll give that a try tonight. I've owned this thing for a week and i'm sick of it already!!!!!!!
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
EveryDayCJ
1982 CJ5 

When I bought my CJ5, it had been in the weather for awhile. There was water in the left turn lens, of coarse it didn't work. Replaced both signals, lens and all anticipating passing inspection the next day... they didn't work. I went down the same road you were talking about, turn signal switch, light switch and so on. Finally ran a ground from the lens mount to the body... everything worked. Some time in a later thread, I was dispensing this advice when John Strenk posted a picture of the original lens hardware (the screw has a log shank that allows it to ground properly). I had been so brilliant as to toss my nasty, rusty ones and replace them with stainless... stupid boy. Good luck and remember it could be much worse.
EveryDayCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Purplehaze1786
1980 CJ7 

Hey thanks. I'll give that a try too. I'm sure it's something simple that i'm overlooking. It was in need of a new harness anyways. So I can rule out a bad wire, switch, and fuse. But i'll try and run new grounds.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

On my CJ-7, I drilled an 1/8" hole in the body of the turn signal lamp assembly and put a 1/2" long #8 machine screw and nut to connect a ground wire with a wire terminal to a separate ground wire to the radiator support. That cleared up a lot of problems for my turn signal ground problems. Before that, any time the Jeep was running, I had low voltage to ALL of the lights (except the headlights) and they were constantly on. Once I grounded both front turn signal assemblies, no more light problems.
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
turn signals , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.