CJ7 transmission going out. What are my choices? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 transmission going out. What are my choices?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
mikeallegro
1982 CJ7 

CJ7 transmission going out. What are my choices?

I have an 82' CJ7 with the 258 engine, T-5 transmission, and Dana 300 transfer case. My T-5 transmission is going out and is on its last leg. Everyone is telling me not to put another t-5 in it as they are weak and prone to problems. I am trying to figure out what would be best to replace it with. My Jeep is a daily driver and I drive on the freeway often. I am considering either replacing it with a AX-15 or go automatic with a GM 700R4. The AX-15 would probably be the easiest swap but I would like an automatic and the 700R4 has overdrive. I would like to upgrade the engine eventually to a Chevy 5.3 Vortec V8 and the 700R4 would work quite nice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mikeallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
cooper30
1985 CJ7 

You may have already been to this site, but Novak has some good technical info on different tranny swaps.

Novak Link
cooper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
mikeallegro
1982 CJ7 

Novak

Yea I have checked out Novak Conversions and they do have a lot of good information. Either option I choose for the transmission would require an adapter to mate my Dana 300 which Novak has. I was really hoping to hear from some people that have done these swaps and get their opinion on how easy or difficult it was.

What tranny are you running in your Jeep?
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I originally had a 258 w/ a T-5. I bought an AMC360, TH 400 and the adapter to mate the DANA 300 to the TH400. Expensive swap with a lot to consider, drive shaft lengths, shifter, fuel lines, motor mounts, cross members, exhaust and the list goes on and on.

I am happy with what I have other than the fuel mileage. I'm not sure what your $ situation is but you did mention you drive it daily. Do you have another vehicle to drive while you or someone you pay does the work?

Just consider everything and plan it out. I didn't but luckily mine is just my toy.

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
shull360CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
mikeallegro
1982 CJ7 

T-5

Yes I drive mine daily now. I originally bought this to be a play toy and I had a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser as my daily driver. I recently got laid off from my job and had to sell the Toyota and now my Jeep is my sole transportation.

Since I drive it so much I really want a 5-speed manual or an automatic with an overdrive like the 700R4. I really want the automatic but it sounds like a lot of work and people say with the 700R4 that their will be clearance issues with the front drive shaft.
Unread 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
cooper30
1985 CJ7 

Sorry to send you where you'd already been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeallegro View Post

What tranny are you running in your Jeep?

I have a NP435, but my Jeep is most definitely not my daily driver.

I've always been a firm believer in planning for the future, so the 700R4 would be the way to go if you're going to putting in a Chevy v8.

If you prefer autos, you'd probably not be happy with another 5 spd, either.
cooper30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.