CJ7 in a Toy Hauler? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 in a Toy Hauler?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
CSP

No, it's not a cut down horse trailer. It's purpose built by Sooner. Most horse/stock trailers have a lot of their structure in the top and sides. You cut that away and you lose a lot of the strength, similar to a unibody car.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #17
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
No, it's not a cut down horse trailer. It's purpose built by Sooner. Most horse/stock trailers have a lot of their structure in the top and sides. You cut that away and you lose a lot of the strength, similar to a unibody car.
True, but same premise. Sooner builds aluminum horse trailers also with living quarters. Mine was a basic Featherlite, no complete living quarters. But at only 20' it had 2-8,000 pound axles under it.
Most standard toy haulers lack the strength or axle capacity, hence my suggestion of a used horse trailer with living quarters.

I do like what you posted CSP.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
CSP

Understood. Have been around livestock my entire 47 years and own cattle and all of the equipment needed to have a cattle operation (except for horses, hate those hayburners).

I also mentioned earlier that most toy haulers don't have the space in the garage or the weight capacity.

Not discounting your idea, but many of us have rigs that just won't fit into a horse or livestock trailer. Mine is both too tall and too wide. It won't fit into most enclosed race car trailers either.

My next toy rig will be a Freightliner toter home. Even with an F450 tow rig, the Voltage toy hauler with a large enough garage for a CJ is almost 15k pounds dry and empty. With the CJ in back, 160 gallons of fresh water and 60 gallons of gasoline plus gear, cooking stuff, etc. it's a handful at times.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
gogop66
1986 CJ7 

GVWR for my CJ is 3750lbs. I've read like most of you have that getting it weighed is the best route and that most weigh 3100lbs. That leaves a scant 650lbs for people. I know Chrysler Dodge now counts people for weighing 150lbs lol I won't go into that but I did read somewhere that these shipped at 2700 or 2750 lbs. I looked for a weight stamp today, none exist. I did find something very disturbing on my emissions stamp... it said "XJ".
gogop66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Brooke and I have been toying around with the idea of a toy hauler for the CJ-5 and, like CSP said, the Voltage was the frontrunner with the 14' cargo area. We could probably get away with a 12' cargo space, but it would be tight.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #21
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogop66 View Post
GVWR for my CJ is 3750lbs. I've read like most of you have that getting it weighed is the best route and that most weigh 3100lbs. That leaves a scant 650lbs for people. I know Chrysler Dodge now counts people for weighing 150lbs lol I won't go into that but I did read somewhere that these shipped at 2700 or 2750 lbs. I looked for a weight stamp today, none exist. I did find something very disturbing on my emissions stamp... it said "XJ".
Very few CJ-7 will weigh as low as 3100lbs.
To be safe, figure the Jeep at 4K lbs with extra fuel, tools/parts.
BTW: My 7's GVWR is 4150. The last time I weighed mine the slip shows 3675lbs. with my butt out of it. I weight 210lbs.
LG
Unread 01-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #22
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
The last time I weighed mine the slip shows 3675lbs. with my butt out of it. I weight 210lbs.
LG
I got you beat both ways! And I'm in a 5 LOL

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.