CJ7 Temp and Fuel sensor Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Temp and Fuel sensor Problems

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
DOWNING91
1979 CJ7 

CJ7 Temp and Fuel sensor Problems

Ok, So I've only had this CJ7 for a month, when I got it there was no floor pan in the rear, so I had a clear shot at the gas tank. The fuel tank sender was hooked up correctly and apparently working correctly also. So I decided to install a new speedometer cluster with fuel and temp gagues. Once I had it in it seemed fine for two weeks. Then, and I'm not sure if they're related or not, I flushed and refilled the coolant and changed the thermostat, in that I had to disconnect the sensor for the coolant temp while changing the thermostat. I hooked it all back up and everything was working right. Then a day later I went to move the CJ from one side of the parking lot to the other and now both the Fuel and Temp sensors are reading at maximum. I climbed up under the dash, everything is connected, as well as the temp sensor on the engine. I noticed the hold down nut on the fuel gague (the jumped grounding nut) was loose, i tightened it and the gague went to zero. So the problem is that its either reading full or at zero on both gagues even when the engine is cool and I know theres 3/8 a tank of gas. Since these are new gagues I doubt its them, also they worked yesterday Is this a grounding issue? I'm new to jeeps so any help would be great.

Last edited by DOWNING91; 08-29-2011 at 07:12 PM..
DOWNING91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Grounding is a big issue. IF you loose your ground ou can burn out your gauges or sensors. Look in my sig to learn how to test them.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.