CJ7 Steering question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Steering question.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
DrDenz

CJ7 Steering question.

Hi All

I am currently rebuilding my CJ7 81. I want to improve the driveability and handling of the CJ even at high speeds. Can anyone suggest what gearbox steer and other steering components to use? I heard some used an XJ steering component to get better driveability and handling. Are there any other suggestion?

Thanks kindly...

DrDenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #2
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDenz
Hi All

I am currently rebuilding my CJ7 81. I want to improve the driveability and handling of the CJ even at high speeds. Can anyone suggest what gearbox steer and other steering components to use? I heard some used an XJ steering component to get better driveability and handling. Are there any other suggestion?

Thanks kindly...
I haven't done this but check into a Durango steering box. What I did is replace mine with a stock one from o'riellys and it helped out alot.
Unread 07-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The CJ steering equipment handles fine at high speed. If you're having handling problems it may be broken, worn out, or improperly adjusted.

What kind of problem do you have?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDenz View Post
Hi All

Thanks kindly...
It will help tremendously if you will post a picture or two of you CJ along with the details of the current condition like tire size and type, shocks, brakes, steering components (recently replaced or c1981).
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

My '81 was dangerous at high speeds. So I lifted the front end and discovered both wheels had severe wobble. Both at the bearings and tierods. Replaced those....(fairly cheap and easy). and now it drives straight as an arrow.. well, unless I hit a bump.

Is wandering the problem? or body roll? I also installed some add-a-leafs to fix up the body roll... and true enough, it has virtually none now, but its now very difficult to drive on dirt roads... so, a decent lift is in my future.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
DrDenz

Yes my existing steering control is broken. I just wanted to find the best option before buying the stock steering box. I was also considering on adding a tough dog steering shock, is this a good option? I use my CJ7 mainly on road with the occasional off roadin but not hardcore.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The stock steering equipment is fine and doesn't require modification to reinstall replacements.

If your steering geometry is set properly, you won't need a steering damper (shock) unless all your roads are very rough. I looked for this on the Tough Dog site but they don't have CJs listed and I couldn't find a steering damper but usually these kits are all about the same.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
DrDenz

I found the Tough Dog damper at http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/products. The specific product that i m considering is http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/pro...ng-stabilisers. It was a recommendation from a friend. But again i wanted to know whether it will bring added value.
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
ymurf
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDenz View Post
I found the Tough Dog damper at http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/products. The specific product that i m considering is http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/pro...ng-stabilisers. It was a recommendation from a friend. But again i wanted to know whether it will bring added value.
Curious about this product to.Anyone here have one of them on there jeep?
ymurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I have a couple of thoughts on the Tough Dog damper.

1) few dampers in the US have a spring on them--they're to damp unwanted steering input not return to center.
2) the damper/spring assembly, if mounted properly can assist return-to-center, if not it will cause the steering to pull one way or the other.
3) Properly aligned steering doesn't need a steering damper... I run 35X1250s without one.

Does your Jeep wander? You need to determine if it's due to broken, loose, or worn out parts... if not it's probably your caster setting.

Unread 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

If you THINK you need a damper theres a problem with you steering and a damper will just cover it up!!!!!!!!
FIND out what the problem is and fix that don't cover it up
L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

it also depend on tire size and road conditions, a lot of interstate has grooves from the big rigs, if your large size tire, light weight vehicle hit those groove it will make the vehicle wander
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , cj7 rebuild question , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.