cj7 speedometer cable - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 speedometer cable

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBrutus1983
1977 CJ7 

I'll be looking to diagnose a speedo problem as soon as I get home in Sept. For some reason I'll be running down the road and look down to see it reading 25mph when I know I'm doing at least 40. Then sometimes it won't register at all. Still other times, it'll be registering what I feel is accurate and then just drop down 20+mph. I figure it's one of three things, the speedo, the cable or the gear in the transfer case. The cable being the cheapest and easiest to replace, I figure I'll replace it first to see if it fixes the problem. If not, I'll look to the transfer case. When all else has failed, I'll take a look behind the speedo to make sure everything is good there and replace as necessary.

So there's my gameplan, but being about as new as they come to the Jeep world, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi
Brutus

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxBrutus1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

The replacement cable I got caused the needle to jump pretty bad. I thought maybe one of the bends from the x-fer case must be too severe so I disconnected and spun it with a cordless drill making sure all the bends were gentle, but the needle jump was just as bad. I greased the insert and tried again with no improvement. I ruled out binding due to length of the insert since I had it stretched about as far as it would go without kinking it. I ended up just repairing the factory cable and housing and have a smooth speedo. I never figured out what was causing the replacement cable to grab. Not much help in addressing the problem, but another negative observation on the quality of the replacement cables available.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.