CJ7 Soft Top Recs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Soft Top Recs

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Soft Top Recs

I知 selling my hard top and going to put a soft top on my 1985 CJ7 with my factory full steel doors. I知 pretty set on one of these Bestop Supertop models.

http://www.amazon.com/51599-15-Super...rds=51599-15CJ

or

http://www.amazon.com/51698-01-Sunri...keywords=51698

Two questions:

1. Is the model with the flip top worth the extra money? Or is it just a gimmick? Also, does it make install harders and/or add another bar.

2. I知 definitely going to get black. Any experience with the 釘lack versus 釘lack Denim type? Looking for reliability/resistance to tears.

Thanks!

p.s. - If anyone in Atlanta is looking for a hard top, here's my CL ad:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/4094234301.html

AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
CJ7VFR

I don't know much about the flip top versions, but I have been using the Bestop Super Top
with the two piece doors on my 1985 CJ-7 for over 20 years now.

I am on my 3rd one, due to the fact that my Jeep is outside all the time, and the sun
fades it, and the windows eventually get cloudy.

But I have never had one leak, and never had any of the stiching go bad from sun
exposure.

All the Bestops are made from vinyl backed with cloth, with the vinyl on the outside
and a light gray colored cloth on the inside.

The only real differences between the "Black" and "Black Denim" is that the "Black" has
a more leather grain look to the outside vinyl pattern, and the "Black Denim" has a pattern
that looks like a pair of jeans. Thus the "Denim" callout.

And the vinyl on the "Black" versions is shiney, and the "Black Denim" vinyl is dull, with
no shine to it, just like all the other colors.

They both offer the same amount of protection from the elements, and they will both last
along time with proper care.

Depending on what your interior color is, and what type of pattern you have for your
seats (Denim look or the leather grain look) you can get them to match and look
pretty nice!

Bestop also offers seat covers that match their tops, so if you still have your original
seats, you can match them to whatever top you get. I have their seat covers on
my Jeep, and they match the "Denim Tan" color of the top exactly. My seat covers
are going on 20 years old now, and besides a few tiny hairline cracks in the drivers
seat cover, they look almost new! They have really held up nice over the years.

Either top is a good choice.

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
wm69

+1 on the seat covers. Look like factory fabric seats enough to where most people don't realize I have seat covers in place.

I got my Supertop in 2003, and it's still in great shape. It's been garaged or under a shed its whole life, and I've been very happy with it.

I would suggest you consider getting the top with 2 piece doors. Gives you more versatility and the doors are much cheaper when purcahsed with a top. If you order a YJ top with doors they'll close on your factory hard door striker pins too.

I got my top from JC Whitney. They were much higher than most at the time, but I found a coupon for 20% off and that knocked a huge chunk off the price. Make sure you shop around at places that offer coupons to get your best price.

No experience with the sunrider, but for me, it's a gimmick. My top will be up or down. That flip back is 1/2 assed.

I would also suggest tinted windows. I got a replacement set of windows to put on my top in the winter, as putting the top up and down and having the windows folded up in the Jeep is what scratches them up. My "winter windows" look perfect after 4 years because they are only on when the top is up. When up and down season comes I put the slightly scratched up windows on.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

One user comment, I think on Amazon reviews, was that the "denim" top is harder to keep clean.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Don't forget you can get free shipping through Q-tec with the forum discount
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Forum discount?
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the info! Just found 4wd.com has the best price- $599 with free shipping, though with tax it's pretty close to Amazon's price.

Do the tinted windows hold up better than the clear ones? Or is it just a preference thing?

I see the advantage of the soft doors... but then I would really have no use for my newly painted full steel doors.

Black Vinyl may be the way to go- easier to clean!
AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
GTNMUDY
1984 CJ7 

Go with Best-Top. I put one on my 84 CJ back in 1990 and only had 1 issue with it. One of the welds broke off on the lower door about 10 yrs after I bought it. I contact Best-op and they sent me a new replacement FREE.

The black denim is a bi**h to keep clean. I got mine dirty with mud and didnt clean it off until about 4 weeks went by. Still can see the stains to this date.

If you get the denim, go to home depot and look for a product that Rustoleum makes. It is a water/stain repellent. It is clean and I have watched the video and I was impressed on how good it works. Wish I would have that 20 yrs ago.

Larry
GTNMUDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
wm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexThePhotoGuy View Post
Thanks for the info! Just found 4wd.com has the best price- $599 with free shipping, though with tax it's pretty close to Amazon's price.

Do the tinted windows hold up better than the clear ones? Or is it just a preference thing?

I see the advantage of the soft doors... but then I would really have no use for my newly painted full steel doors.

Black Vinyl may be the way to go- easier to clean!
Yeah, tinted windows is a preference thing. My hard doors are tinted (were when I bought the Jeep) so it looks funny with tinted door glass and clear soft top windows.

Soft doors are nice in spring and fall. Run 1/2 doors with uppers stashed behind the back seat and top down. If you hit a storm, or it gets cold, you can button the whole Jeep up. I run full steel doors in the winter.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hard top , soft top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.