Cj7 small block chevy exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 small block chevy exhaust

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

Cj7 small block chevy exhaust

Does anyone know of a simple solution to put an exhaust system on a 83 CJ7 with a small block chevy conversion? I did away with the fenderwell headers and side pipes. I hate the way they look and you might as well stick a garden hose in the tailpipe and suck on the other end. I installed stainless block hugger headers and I have plenty of clearance around the collectors for my pipes. Will any factory type exhaust parts work in conjunction with some custom fab? My main concern is the first set of pipes coming off the header collectors. The rest is easy to fab up from there. I am open to a single 2 into 1 y pipe or dual exhaust, she's not going to be a hot rod.

inovermyhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I ran 2" pipes from the manifold to a 2-1/2" Y pipe with a single magnaflow in the factory location. The pipe from the driver side wraps around in front of the oil pan and around under the driver side pipe to the Y just in front of and over the skid plate. I have some pics on my computer but not my phone. I have an 83 with a sbc. Wasn't enough room on the passenger side to run duals and I really didn't want to either. I bought the muffler and took it a shop. Charged me $300.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

That sounds exactly like what I have in my head. I was hoping to be able to modify some stock exhaust components but that sounds like a reasonable price to just let someone else worry about it. I really want it to sound very quiet and my plan is to use an oem type muffler and a single 2 1/2" exhaust in the stock location including the tailpipe. Thanks for the heads up. Unless anyone has some successful experience with some factory jeep components, that will be the route I go.
Unread 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I have saved this as I think it was a real simple and clean idea. Not real sure who's Jeep it was.
sbc_exhaust_under_oil_pan.jpg  
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
cdmiller2
1981 CJ5 

My block huggers did not clear the driveshaft on mine, I have Heddman elite shortys for a yj, I took it to an exhaust shop and had them run 2.5 in pipes to flowmaster 40 series dumped in front of the rear axle.
cdmiller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

That picture is exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks 1986Cj!! cdmiller2- I don't have any driveshaft clearance issues but my collector is very close to the back of my starter motor. Just to be safe I may install a high torque mini starter for added clearance from the heat or use a heat shield. Thanks for the reply guys
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

From the pic they look like stock center dumps. I was thinking about a 4.3 in my CJ at one time.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.