CJ7 slack in the rear diff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 slack in the rear diff

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
rex_altitudo
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 slack in the rear diff

I'd like some advice on diagnosing slack in the rear differential of my 1985 CJ7 with the stock AMC 20 and 2.73 gearing. When moving through the gears, the driveline very noticeably clunks as the torque on it changes. When parked, I can grasp the rear driveshaft and turn it; there is about an inch of play. I was wondering if anybody could guess what was worn out (ring/pinion, differential, axles...). There is a locker in the rear and one-piece axles, but I don't know any details on these mods as they were done by previous owners.

rex_altitudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The ring and pinion may be worn a bit, but you are describing the normal behavior of a locker. Practice your shifting or remove the locker. Double check that the u-joints are not worn out.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amc 20 , differential , rear differential , rear end , rearend

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.