CJ7 Security system? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Security system?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Randall

CJ7 Security system?

I have found very little information on security systems for Jeeps or other "open" type vehicles. I would think that a Jeep would be easier to wire since there are no auto "door locks" or other automatic bells and whistles inherint to the design of the vehicle. 90% of the time, I have my half doors in with a bikini top on or no top at all. I don't have much in the Jeep to steal per se, but I want to put some extra security into it nonetheless. I know there are "Microwave" or "Doppler" models available that sense movement and what not, but I think you need to connect them to another system. I guess I just wondered what a lot of you guys do for additional security. Any suggestions?
Oh, and did I mention, I am looking for affordability. Aren't we all? Thanks.

case, t-176, 4:10's, Dana 30 front and
44 rear, Arb air lockers, flowmaster
dual exhaust, full cage, Ramsey 8000lb
winch, Tuffy lock box, front towbar.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
rustyCJ

security against what, vehicle theft or stuff theft?

the only for sure way to keep hands out of your jeep when you dont have a top on is a big black growling dog.. the only other way to keep hands out of a jeep is full doors and a hardtop. even with a doppler(motion detector)alarm your stuff will get stolen without a top(and even sometimes with), when the alarm goes off it will just make them run away faster.

there are tons of ways to keep someone from being able to steal the jeep itself, make a disconnectable transfercase shifter so you can shift it into nuetral and then lock up the shifter, battery disconnect, etc.

the only good advice for protecting your stuff in the jeep is good lockable storage- center consoles, storage boxes, etc.

alarms only work if the people that hear them go off actually care. how many times a day do you hear a car alarm go off? how many times do you look around for where the alarm is coming from versus how many times you dismiss it as nothing.
Unread 03-17-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
Randall

Good questions Rusty. I gues the primary deternet I'm looking for is for vehicle theft. I installed a Tuffy center consoul that I'll eventually put a radio in if I ever get around to putting a radio in. The truth is, I just don't want anyone messing around with my Jeep if I make an occasional trip to the mall etc. I know that car alarms are not exactly the deterent that they propose to be to someone who really wants to rip you off, but I'm just looking for somethig that would make my rig a less desirable target. I figured that some of you guys who have invested a lot of cash into the performance side of your rigs would have been down the same road. Can you give me any more info on the disconnectable transfercase shifter you described? Sounds like a complicated prospect, but may be worth while for the paranoid Jeep owner.
Unread 03-18-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
TimR

I am about to install a alram into my CJ. I got a prestige alram made by audiovox. My jeep is a hard top just about all the time so the alram makes more sense I guess. The cool thing about this alram is that it has a proximity sensor. You can set the range of dectection to only encompass the interior area of your jeep.
This feature works well for not only enclosed jeeps but open CJ's as well.

Of course no alarm will keep your ride from getting jacled. It will however deter someone who just wants to be a jerk and mess with your stuff. The alram does have a ignition kill relay so your jeep cant be started while the alarm is going off.

An alarm can cost around $70 and the install is pretty simple

TimR
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 02:28 AM   #5
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put one of those Grant removable steering wheel kits on my '80 CJ-7 with soft top and I've been happy with it. I got it from 4WD Hardware. The steering wheel locks into place. To remove it you unlock it, depress a lever, twist it counterclockwise a couple degrees, and off it comes. To install it unlock the tamper-proof cap and remove it, line up the index marks on the steering wheel and steering column, push on the steering wheel, rotate it clockwise a couple of degrees until you hear it snap in place, then lock it. The tamper-proof cap locks in place when the steering wheel is off and covers the guts of the assembly. I live in a high-vandalism area (less than a block from the local high school) and so far I haven't had any problems. Thieves or vandals might be able to steal what's in my Jeep, and they might be able to get it started. But they are really going to have to use some imagination to steer it down the road, especially since I converted it from power steering to manual steering and am running 31s.
Unread 03-18-2003, 05:02 AM   #6
crf

I have all your question asked to my sefl after looking around I got a viper arlam sys. w/voice mod. The viper can me made into what you want. I put one on my 73 renagade w/soft top and one on my wifes 2002 Tj w/hard top both are identical sys. They have peresure buttons for hood, infrared for movement and a jar sensor for some one trying to borrow the tires. Viper has a voice mod that warns the person that it is protected it can speak in english or spainish. It dose draw alot of attention. Thay now have one that also has a beeper type of key fob that has a raing of app. 1800 feet or yards con't reminber which that lets you know if the alarm goes off. I'm very happy with the viper not a cheep sys app $400.00 - $500.00 depending what you get. But people stay away from the jeeps. Mine is set becouse of soft top and no lock it lets you get app. 2 feet from it when it tells you to "step back protected by viper" if you move in closer all hell breaks lose.
crf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
Mud Dobber

Pit bull and a .44 magnum. Works for me but then noise doesn't bother me either.

Mud
Mud Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
Randall

Thanks for all the good advice. I think the "Prestige" is the route I'd like to go. I don't want to spend a ton of cash on this, lord knows there are funner things to spend it on. And I believe in keeping things simple. I think a blinking red light on the dash would probably give me the effect I'm after. But I think I'll look into the Prestige. Thanks!
Unread 03-21-2003, 09:00 PM   #9
KG4PAM

Speaking of alarms, my jeep sets them off when I crank up in a parking lot! Sometimes it will also set'em off just by cruising by. This unusual phenomenon is probably due to the fact that I have a 304, headers, dual flowmasters and no tailpipes. The jeep isnt that loud, the only thing I can guess is that the resonant frequency of the exhaust matches the frequency of the glass, trippiing the window break sensors.

About vehicle theft, I would feel for the poor soul that tried to steal my jeep... My temporary speedometer that is tied to the grabbar and has a cable going through the floor cover plate prolly says something... It takes a special touch to start, and if you try to floor it, it usually bogs down.

Roughly what does the grant steering wheel cost? I was looking at getting a new wheel at one time, it would make sense to get a security system at the same time. Does it seem to increase the slop in the steering, or is it just as good (bad...)? Thanks!
KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #10
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine from 4WD hardware. I went the cheapest route and got

#2001 $99.95 No wheel no steal security system
#3196 $18.95 Grant installation kit
#414 $49.95 13-1/2" 4-spoke steering wheel

So the whole setup costs about $170.00. Unfortunately it won't work with the stock Jeep steering wheel, you have to get a Grant wheel. There is no increase in slop in the steering, it's a well-engineered, ingenious design. I think it's a great idea, better than a fancy and complex security system. I have a Black Maxx electronic security system on my '92 Wrangler, installed by the previous owner. The installer really butchered up the wiring (why does this always happen on every used vehicle I buy???) and you are SOL if the batteries in your remote die on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. The Grant system is simple, low-tech, and it works.
Unread 03-22-2003, 05:40 AM   #11
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I don't know if I'm a total sucker or not, but I bought one of those Unbrakeable Autolocks. - It goes between the clutch petal (or brake) and the floor, and seems pretty beefy. I'm sure it can be beat, but you all know it's about making it harder to steal.

As ya all know, the YJ tub swap is nearly complete. When I thought that I was going to use a new wiring harness, I was going to run the included but not used neutral saftey switch as a kill switch. Since it is normally wired to an auto tranny, I figured it would be easy to run it up inside the Tufffy console.

Since I did not replace the harness, and I have the MPI, I'm going to run some type of on/off kill switch into the console, but I have not yet figured out the best way. For safe areas and short stops, I don't even need to set it, but since I always drop my radio face in there anyway, I figure no big deal to open the console evertime I park.

I just need to find a protected switch that has no chance of getting knocked into the off position while I drive.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 10:52 PM   #12
cinnamonbelle

There is an aftermarket accessory someone makes for Harley Davidsons (this is the ONLY thing I know about things with two wheels at all)....

It's a little box box that can be bolted on somewhere with a transmitter in it... if it's stolen you can activate it from a two-way pager (or presumably other means) and it supposedly pages you with the GPS location every so many seconds.
cinnamonbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #13
TimR

Any idea what that system is called?

TimR
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 05:28 AM   #14
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The LoJack system, which does something like this, has been available for years. See http://www.lojack.com

Last edited by Strelnikov; 03-25-2003 at 05:31 AM..
Strelnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
cinnamonbelle

Looks like that security/pager thing is called the GPS vision and is built in part at least by Motorola... sounds like might need some adaptation to be used with something other than a Harley...

http://www.motorola.com/MIMS/MSPG/Pr...1017_4847.html

Looks like there's a bunch of different GPS based car security systems at this (unrelated) catalog: (just copy the whole thing and paste into your web browser's address line... you may need to go back and delete the dashes if they show up...

http://www.globalsources.com/General...an&language=en

(Or you could do a search on "gps security" at the main page www.globalsources.com)

Would love to hear opinions on these things, sound like an interesting solution.
cinnamonbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.