cj7 and scrambler experts needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 and scrambler experts needed

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
joes1982CJ

cj7 and scrambler experts needed

ok, this is what i have a YJ frame and a scrambler body.

What i want to do is put the scrambler body on the yj frame.

these are the modifications already done to the yj,,, extended wheelbase front 6" and 5.5" in the rear. 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front both narrowed down to 64" rolling on 39.5" iroks

4.0L atlas 3.8 TF999 custom skids shackel reversal psc hydro assist sterring and the other odds and ends.

the yj has been a full blown rock crawler that i have used all over the sierra's from the rubicon to fordyce, its been fun.

I have always wanted a scrambler because of the room inside. i have two dogs and usually have to leave one home because of the lack of space.

i have a few options right now. one is to leave everything hooked to the yj frame and do nessesary body mount modifications and extend the rear to mount the scrambler body on the existing chassis,,, also adjust rear wheel opening OR adjust rear strech to fit the stock wheel opening, either way i dont care about that right now i just know i have to do it..

what i am wondering is,,, hows it going to be mounting up the scrambler tub on the yj frame? will some of the front mounts work? i know this is the case when installing a yj tub on a cj 7 but what about the 8 on a yj?

am i better off getting a cj8 frame ( which i have access to ) and transfering everything over to that? ( motor trans tcase and axles ) ???

my only reason for not wanting to go to the scrambler frame it due to the fack that the yj frames are much more stout..

im looking for some advice from the folks that might know so of the answers about body mount and how the two might interchange.

thanks in advance

joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

I know it's been done, but not by me. Some guys over on Jeep Scrambler Forums & Discussions - Powered by vBulletin have done it. It is very possible to mate the YJ frame to the 8 body, some have even kept the rectangular headlights .

I do understand the need for room, wife, 2 sons and 2 dogs, plus stuff...Scramblers make sense.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I recently built a nice CJ-8 frame from 2 CJ-7 frames and used another 8 frame for measurements. I also have several CJ-7 frames and HAD a few YJ frames. Also have cj and YJ tubs, so I can actually answer this question. Going from a YJ to CJ7 frame, it's the rearmost holes that are off 3/4 inch each and the ones infront of the rear tire that are inline, but off front to back by about 4 inches. Going from a 7 to 8 frame, not only does the 8 have two more mounts, but it differs on two sets. The ones that would be at the rear most of the 7, are centered on the crossmember on the 8, so back about 2 inches and the next set up is off a few incehes as well to match up with the 8's bed. Even if you did stretch the YJ frame the proper length just behind the belly pan AND moved the next set of mounts (3rd from the rear), you would have problems in two areas. One is at the rear most body mounts. The YJ frame is wider than the 7 by about 2 inches on each side, the frame would be in the way of the 8s body mounts. You could open it up and move over the floating nut or fab up something. Also, the front frame rails are higher than the CJs, so IF your using a CJ clip, you'll have grill/power steering box issues.

If it was me, I would either get a Scrambler frame or I would call TDK and have a 8 frame made with TJ suspension mounts. I'd have the room of an 8, the classic look of a CJ, the coils of a TJ, and use a long arm kit. I would rather weld the proper brackets on the axles any day than build another custom frame. If needed, I can post pics and reference the mounts in question.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
joes1982CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I recently built a nice CJ-8 frame from 2 CJ-7 frames and used another 8 frame for measurements. I also have several CJ-7 frames and HAD a few YJ frames. Also have cj and YJ tubs, so I can actually answer this question. Going from a YJ to CJ7 frame, it's the rearmost holes that are off 3/4 inch each and the ones infront of the rear tire that are inline, but off front to back by about 4 inches. Going from a 7 to 8 frame, not only does the 8 have two more mounts, but it differs on two sets. The ones that would be at the rear most of the 7, are centered on the crossmember on the 8, so back about 2 inches and the next set up is off a few incehes as well to match up with the 8's bed. Even if you did stretch the YJ frame the proper length just behind the belly pan AND moved the next set of mounts (3rd from the rear), you would have problems in two areas. One is at the rear most body mounts. The YJ frame is wider than the 7 by about 2 inches on each side, the frame would be in the way of the 8s body mounts. You could open it up and move over the floating nut or fab up something. Also, the front frame rails are higher than the CJs, so IF your using a CJ clip, you'll have grill/power steering box issues.

If it was me, I would either get a Scrambler frame or I would call TDK and have a 8 frame made with TJ suspension mounts. I'd have the room of an 8, the classic look of a CJ, the coils of a TJ, and use a long arm kit. I would rather weld the proper brackets on the axles any day than build another custom frame. If needed, I can post pics and reference the mounts in question.
thanks for the info, i think i get what you are saying for the most part. can you show me some of the pics you might have that would help me understand what you are saying a little better?
thanks!
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Here's a link to when I posted about making a Scrambler frame. It would apply to stretching a YJ frame as well.

CJ-8 Frame/ Body mount dimensions - Page 2 - Jeep Scrambler Forums & Discussions

Here's some pics of the mounts that are different between the CJ/YJ and the CJ-8 frame for body placement.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
joes1982CJ

hey thanks so much for the pictures. this really helps me understand the whole concept.

do you think its worth going through all the trouble or should i just pick up the scrambler frame and just move my whole drive train and suspension wire harnest heater etc etc over ?? either way i know its a lot of work but i dont care, i have done worse..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.