CJ7's through the years.... - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-26-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Abemas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1
CJ7's through the years....

Did the body style of the CJ7's change during the years that they were made? If so, what are the differences and does anybody know where I can see pics of one from each year?

Abemas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 03-26-2004, 07:46 PM
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
xxxflhrci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,648
One that I can think of........The '76,'77,'78', and I think '79s had a roll bar that bolted in thru the sides of the tub. The had large Torx bolts that went right thru the side of the tub holding the roll bar in. This caused the metal to fatique and rust around the bolts. Later year 7's had the bar boltd in differently.
xxxflhrci is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 03-26-2004, 08:15 PM
bstruckm
Registered User
 
bstruckm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 139
Also I think 76-79 had rear marker lights on the quarter panels. 80 - 86 did not.

And don't forget the wide track axles came in late 81 early 82.
bstruckm is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2004, 12:59 AM
only in a jeep cj
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mobile
Posts: 5,229
I'm not EXACT on these years, but I'll tell you what I know. NO, not all CJ-7's are the same. Besides the axle, frame, and interior changes, the tub was changed several times. The first "7" tubs were made from heavier gauge steel that weighed 80lbs heavier before 1979. I think I remember seeing some of the first 7's (1976) with some carryovers from the 75 year...such as the metal air intake grill on the cowl and the "e's" in Jeep on the side really being e's. The main points of the 76 to 79 tubs are the lack of good door bracing at the striker area, the fender mounted rollbar, and the red blinker lights on the rear quarters. The next 2 years are tricky. By mid to late 1979/early 80, the rollbar goes down to the floor (on top of a body mount) and by 81, the turn light at the rear was integrated into the taillights and the door areas were structural pillars by 82. Also 81 on saw 2 speakers in the dash as opposed to just the one passenger as before. I. M. O. the 82 to 86's are the best with the late 86 having a rear floorboard rib at the back (like on a YJ). Also, the last few years of the CJ's, the tubs (and doors) were dipped at the factory in an anti corrosive coating. I can say it worked on some, as my 86 has NO rust

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 AM
DeafJeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Emporium
Posts: 295
Interesting to note the differences.
DeafJeep is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 AM
WindKnot
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I'm not EXACT on these years, but I'll tell you what I know. NO, not all CJ-7's are the same. Besides the axle, frame, and interior changes, the tub was changed several times. The first "7" tubs were made from heavier gauge steel that weighed 80lbs heavier before 1979. I think I remember seeing some of the first 7's (1976) with some carryovers from the 75 year...such as the metal air intake grill on the cowl and the "e's" in Jeep on the side really being e's. The main points of the 76 to 79 tubs are the lack of good door bracing at the striker area, the fender mounted rollbar, and the red blinker lights on the rear quarters. The next 2 years are tricky. By mid to late 1979/early 80, the rollbar goes down to the floor (on top of a body mount) and by 81, the turn light at the rear was integrated into the taillights and the door areas were structural pillars by 82. Also 81 on saw 2 speakers in the dash as opposed to just the one passenger as before. I. M. O. the 82 to 86's are the best with the late 86 having a rear floorboard rib at the back (like on a YJ). Also, the last few years of the CJ's, the tubs (and doors) were dipped at the factory in an anti corrosive coating. I can say it worked on some, as my 86 has NO rust
Only a small correction...

The early sevens had MARKER lights on the rear quarter panels. The turn signals are in the tail lights.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WindKnot is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM
REDnBLUES
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 250
Early hoods had the snorkel gap or whatever on the drivers side. Hard doors had turn handles. Spare tire mounts could be found on the right rear quarter panel on some models.

1977 CJ7 - LT1/700R4 Project
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock - stock
2013 JK Sahara - gone
REDnBLUES is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Nafpu
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tigard
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDnBLUES View Post
Early hoods had the snorkel gap or whatever on the drivers side. Hard doors had turn handles. Spare tire mounts could be found on the right rear quarter panel on some models.
On 7s?

95 YJ, gone...
80 CJ7, gone...
12 KK, still here...
Nafpu is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton
Posts: 2,967
Do you recent posters realize this thread is almost 10 years old?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pathkiller is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
WindKnot
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,910
BUT IT LIVES IN THE ARCHIVES FOREVER!!!

Like MLK, I too have a dream. I have a dream that one day, people will not just ask a question, but will go to the archives first! I have a dream, I have a dream where the same subject is not on the thread board twice on the same page. I have a dream, where...
Oh, excuse me. I was channeling.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WindKnot is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM
REDnBLUES
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post

On 7s?
Yes on 7's. And as far as the age of the thread...I just commented on someone's recent post.

1977 CJ7 - LT1/700R4 Project
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock - stock
2013 JK Sahara - gone
REDnBLUES is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM
only in a jeep cj
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mobile
Posts: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Only a small correction...

The early sevens had MARKER lights on the rear quarter panels. The turn signals are in the tail lights.
Yeahhhh, that's what I meant....10 years ago.... Now I do feel old
How do you people find this stuff ?

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Did you know....CJ7's... mtndew1 Jeep CJ Forum 12 07-31-2009 09:57 AM
How many 1986 CJ7's LT1CJ7 Jeep CJ Forum 3 07-26-2007 11:43 AM
4 cyl. CJ7's 79cherokee Jeep CJ Forum 8 06-26-2007 03:55 PM
What years did 258 CJ7's have smog pumps? knowlwk@snowhill.com Jeep CJ Forum 0 12-05-2003 02:27 PM
CJ7's ONENICE92YJ Jeep CJ Forum 14 04-30-2003 08:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome