CJ7 running oddly - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 running oddly

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Maybe the power valve in the carb? If it loaded up and backfired it could have blown out the power valve. Not sure if it will cause the same symptoms but it's something that's easy to check and replace before you start tearing the engine apart.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

the cam is easily replaced, and done so infrequently. take off the timing cover and a freeze plug and you should be ready to roll!
Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Was it a metal pop or a gas pop?? I had wacky stuff like that going on with mine when I bought it and it turns out a plug wire was bouncing of the exhaust manifold as the motor rocked on its mounts under load, which really screwed the spark up. It wasn't obvious until I looked hard at the wires.
Dadamsnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
rtormet
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Was it a metal pop or a gas pop?? I had wacky stuff like that going on with mine when I bought it and it turns out a plug wire was bouncing of the exhaust manifold as the motor rocked on its mounts under load, which really screwed the spark up. It wasn't obvious until I looked hard at the wires.
more a metal pop - ill take a hard look at the plug wires just to be sure but i think they are OK

its very odd i think im going to replace the cam next
rtormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

the distribtuor sits on top of the cam, if the gears on the cam look like they have had 'metal binding, deformed or twisted, the gears on the cam will look the same. I red-lined my tach, I was driving down the road when this happened, I was not stationary (got rid of the tach) and it killed the power to the distributor and ground my cam. Ended up replacing the whole distributor as well. If it seems like it wont crank over, metal to metal bindingthat could be the main cap bearing on your crank. you'll know when you take the motor apart b-c , the bearings that hold the pistons in, the bearings if you take them off, will appear shredded. or have deep cuts in their metal surface. and the motor will have a knocking sound, like a trash of metal hitting the block. thats one way to tell without have to take it apart.
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
rtormet
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
the distribtuor sits on top of the cam, if the gears on the cam look like they have had 'metal binding, deformed or twisted, the gears on the cam will look the same.
Ah gotcha - ill check that out tomorrow first thing and see how the gears look - seems like something thats pretty easy to check on
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtormet View Post
Ah gotcha - ill check that out tomorrow first thing and see how the gears look - seems like something thats pretty easy to check on
be sure to mark where you took the distribuotr out at , or you'll mess up the timing.
Unread 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
rtormet
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mouse View Post
be sure to mark where you took the distribuotr out at , or you'll mess up the timing.
Definitely - thanks

Tags
idle issue , motorcraft 2100 , rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.