CJ7 Rugged Ridge Floor Mats trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Rugged Ridge Floor Mats trouble

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

CJ7 Rugged Ridge Floor Mats trouble

Hey guys i just really bought this Rugged Ridge floor liners and everything fits perfectly and beauifuly! They make my CJ7 look even cooler than before but the driver side floor liner doesnt have the cut-out for the high beam button that locatedon the upper left corner. im sure that goes their. So does anyone know how i can make my own cut-out and make it look clean and professional? please help and thanks!

Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I would find a piece of metal tube or similar and sharpen the edge to use as a punch to make a clean cut through the liner.
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Get a electrical knock-out puller.Electricians will have them.Made by Greenlee. What Vacj7 says will also work
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I used a Uni-bit that is designed for drilling into sheet metal to make the hole. Lowe's, Home Depot have them and are made by Irwin.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

I sure hope your not on the side of the road with this type of trouble, lol, sounds like it could be terminal
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
I sure hope your not on the side of the road with this type of trouble, lol, sounds like it could be terminal

I was thinking the same thing.

OP, it's a rubber mat. You need a 1" hole in it. I bet you can figure it out.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I don't see why it is necessary to poke fun at the OP just because his question is not "tech". He asked for help because he did not want to screw up something he spent good money on. One could say "I bet you can figure it out" to many questions here but why?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I don't see why it is necessary to poke fun at the OP just because his question is not "tech". He asked for help because he did not want to screw up something he spent good money on. One could say "I bet you can figure it out" to many questions here but why?
Sorry. You are correct. My apologies to the OP.

I'd probably put a dab of paint, or nail polish, on the top of the high beam button. Then put the mat in place before the paint dries. This will mark the location of the button on the bottom of the mat. Then I'd probably drill the hole using a 1-1/4" spade or paddle bit from the bottom side.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

LOL @ Matt. Always stirring up trouble

OP - depending on the quality of the mat, (no pun intended), you might also quickly blaze the edges of your cut-out with a lighter to help firm them up so it's harder to tear from where you punched. Sorta like when you blaze the edge of a freshly cut backpack strap or whatever.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

When I get home from my current business trip on Thursday, I can measure where the hole location is on the mat and post it here if you wish. Along with some photographs too.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
When I get home from my current business trip on Thursday, I can measure where the hole location is on the mat and post it here if you wish. Along with some photographs too.

Can't beat that for help.I'd like to see the mat.Heard about them but never seen one installed
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

VACJ7 and Keith thanks so much for the help you 2, and well for the other guys thanks for your point of view on helping another jeeper!

Keith i would greatly appreciate it if you do put up some pics that way i do get a good image of it. Enjoy your trip!
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
I would find a piece of metal tube or similar and sharpen the edge to use as a punch to make a clean cut through the liner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Get a electrical knock-out puller.Electricians will have them.Made by Greenlee. What Vacj7 says will also work
Quote:
I used a Uni-bit that is designed for drilling into sheet metal to make the hole. Lowe's, Home Depot have them and are made by Irwin.
Thanks all of you guys for all your feedback and ideas. ima look into all 3 ideas and see which one would be best for me. and keith ill love to see them floor mats
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Think about unscrewing the switch from the floorboard, treating the area with paint/rust remover etc, and then mounting the switch on top of and through the mat... Just saying.
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclilk View Post
Keith i would greatly appreciate it if you do put up some pics that way i do get a good image of it. Enjoy your trip!
I don't have the Rugged Ridge or maybe they are, but it is the same that other places sell. Mine have the "Jeep" logo and they are good looking mats that fit well. I saw them in a Jeep CJ years ago at a local Jeep show in Harleysville, PA

Pictured below are the mats I have and I think these are the ones you are referring too.

It's a little hard to see the switch poking out of the mat in the second picture.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.