Cj7 - replacement master cylinder bubbles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 - replacement master cylinder bubbles

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Cj7 - replacement master cylinder bubbles

Gents,

Replaced my master cylinder with a refurbished one from autozone. Everything seems to be functioning properly however some bubbles have me curious.

I bench bled the master and wheels per the manual. However, whenever the brake is pressed in the larger reservoir in the master cylinder bubbles a bit.

It seems to be from the initial few inches of petal.

Is this normal?

Msmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Unread 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I would suggest you still have air in the master. You shouldn't be getting any bubbles, hence the reason for bench bleeding. You can still bleed your brakes as normal, but it will take longer, and you will use a bunch more fluid. But that may be more desirable than removing the master and starting over? It's all learning curve, Brother. Keep at it...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Makes sense, I don't have power brakes at the moment so I think I may just add a buster which would require bleeding again anyways. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Am I good driving it for a week or so until I can get to it? i wouldn't even know there is an issue if I hadn't of had the master cylinder cover off.
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

While we're on the topic, any suggestions for a booster? What are the options that increase stopping power. I've read the master needs to be changed as well and that a booster alone doesn't actually increase stopping power, just makes the same stopping power easier to engage....
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You have to be the judge as to whether you can drive it for a week. How much brake do you have? No way I would advise you on that, as I'm sure you understand. The booster can be obtained from a couple different vehicles (junkyard), or you can purchase a new/reman from the parts store. I wanna say check the GM model cars for the booster, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Someone else better say. The booster gives you "power assisted" brakes... makes it easy to push the pedal. The actual brakes/drums/rotors are what gives you the stopping power.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You have to be the judge as to whether you can drive it for a week. How much brake do you have? No way I would advise you on that, as I'm sure you understand. The booster can be obtained from a couple different vehicles (junkyard), or you can purchase a new/reman from the parts store. I wanna say check the GM model cars for the booster, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Someone else better say. The booster gives you "power assisted" brakes... makes it easy to push the pedal. The actual brakes/drums/rotors are what gives you the stopping power.
I have a lot of brake. Maybe 1/4 inch soft in the beginning. I didn't even think of it as an issue in till I was cruising the forum. Overall you probably wouldn't know if I didn't tell you.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
CSP

Just an FYI that the master cylinder used on power brake systems has a smaller bore than manual brakes. You'll want a different master cylinder if you go power.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall View Post
I have a lot of brake. Maybe 1/4 inch soft in the beginning. I didn't even think of it as an issue in till I was cruising the forum. Overall you probably wouldn't know if I didn't tell you.
Then I would say Rock-N-Roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Just an FYI that the master cylinder used on power brake systems has a smaller bore than manual brakes. You'll want a different master cylinder if you go power.
Follow CSP's advice if you choose to go power...

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

Thanks
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

I'm still having issues with this. I've bled and bled. The bubble are consistent meaning it only bubbles in one reservoir when you initially hit the brake.

Any chance I have a bad master that is always going to let air in.

I'm hesitant to pull it out on a whim.

Brake fluid starts to add up!
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You are only getting air in if you are letting fluid out. If you have no leak then you have no air source. How do you know it is bubbling? Are you watching the reservoir while depressing the brake pedal with the lid off? Fluid will virtually squirt out of the top of the reservoir if you do this, making a mess! So be careful. Don't put your face directly over it.

If you have no leaks, and you are for sure getting bubbles, I would guess you didn't bleed the master correctly. Tell us your bench bleeding method.

Unread 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

I kiw its bubbling because I can press the brake and see it when the cover is off

I didn't have a bench so I installed the master, looped the lines from master back into master cylinder and pressed the brake until I didn't see bubbles. Then connected brake lines and bled all 4 wheels. I didn't think there would be a difference in doing this installed or on a bench. My thinking was whats the difference between the pedal doing it or my hand.

I do see a bit of brake fluid dripping from the master but I assumed that was from the bubbling leaking from the reservoir even when the cover is on.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

one time I when through 2 or 3 rebuilt master cylinders on my 1984 cj with power brakes, before I got one that worked properly.

I was using advance auto, I would just take them back and they got me another one.

I bench bled the master cylinders using the inserts and short tubes provided with each kit. used the handle of my ratchet or screwdriver to pump the master cylinder, had to make many pumps until the bubbles stopped.

then installed the master cylinder and all was good,
once I got a good master cylinder.

brakes on a old jeep are marginal at best, power brakes make it much better.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Msmall
1986 CJ7 

I do need to do the power brake upgrade. Part of the reason I've put the minor bubbling on the back burner.

I also want to k so what is going on with this. It seems like when the brakes are engaged and the rod is pushed into the master that it is forcing air in. As it e rod is catching air when out and then pushing air in when engaged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.