CJ7 Rear Drum Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Rear Drum Brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
jjustice08
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Rear Drum Brakes

My 85 CJ7 is in need of rear drum brakes. Are these moderatly easy to replace? I have taken the rear wheels off and the drum for inspection. I feel fairly confident in my abilities, but don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks for your input!

jjustice08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

If you've taken them off before, half of your work is done,
Sometimes it takes longer to get the drums off than to do the rest of the job,
just look at what is there, take a picture if need be, and put everything back as it was, just with the new parts, Pretty simple job really

Good Luck !
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
jjustice08
1985 CJ7 

Is it necessary to bleed the brakes once completed. Someone told me it is not always needed. Is it possible to do the job without getting air in the line?
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

I've replaced shoes several times and I'm a girl. A manual is your best friend for any repair in case you need help. Did you say you need new drums or are you just replacing shoes? Sounds like you are checking the drums before you reassemble, that will save you grief in the long run. You don't have to bleed the brakes if you don't open any line and let air in however, it never hurts to replace the old brake fluid and bleed the system if it hasn't been done for years. Adjusting the wheel cylinders to set the new shoes is done mechanically with a brake adjusting tool so unless you have suspicions about your hydraulic brake lines, don't open the bleed nipples on the cylinders and air won't enter. All in all, it's pretty easy.
littlebuddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddie View Post
I've replaced shoes several times and I'm a girl.
What has being a 'Gril' got to do with it?

I taught 'Women On Wheels' (WOW) classes for several years locally and may of them are doing their own maintenance to this day, and some of them became mechanics or do body work they liked it so well!

Something very satisfying about working with your hands!

If women knew how special a 'Hot Rod Chick' was in the 'Boys Club', there would be a LOT more 'Girls' taking auto shop!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Not 'Bleed' the brakes, but you might have to adjust them up once you get new drums.

DO NOT PUMP THE BRAKES WITH THE DRUMS OFF!
You WILL pop a wheel cylinder open if you do! SO DON'T DO IT!

There is an adjuster 'Star Wheel' at the bottom between the shoes, get familiar with it!
Turn it one way, the shoes come together,
Turn it the other way, the shoes get pushed out to meet the drum.

With new drums, and especially new shoes and drums, you are going to have to move that thing 'In' to get everything 'New' to fit.

Once the drum is on, you are going to have to turn that 'Star Wheel' 'Out' until the shoes are just 'Hazing' the drum, just barely rubbing the drum...

If you look on the backing plate, you will find a slot (that should have a rubber plug in it!) for the adjuster tool...

The adjuster workings and procedure is covered in your MANUAL pretty well...
(you DID buy a MANUAL, Didn't you?...)

Once the drum is on and adjusted up so you are getting just a little friction,
Get in and hit the brakes to seat the shoes in the drum,
(you don't need a wheel on for this, just do it with the wheels still off)

Then check your adjustment again... Spin the drum and see if it's 'Hazing' slightly...
Some times the shoes will become pretty loose in the drum once they seat in correctly, so you may have to adjust up a little...

Not much to it once you figure out how the 'Adjuster' works and get it going the correct direction!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

jjustice08, who needs a manual when we have JeepHammer on board. Very good advice. Most of us learned the hard way not to push the pedal when the drums are off.
Unread 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Hey, at least if you accidentally do that you have an excuse to replace your wheel cylinders, which isn't a bad idea while you have that all apart anyways. You will certainly have to bleed the brakes if you replace the wheel cylinders though.
Unread 05-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
jjustice08
1985 CJ7 

I guess all this will make sense once I get the wheel off again. JeepMaster lost me with the "star" shaped wheel. Is this wheel adjacent to the adjusting lever?

The end result should be the shoes slightly touching the drum? Probably a good idea to take a "before" picture and see if it looks the same after completion.
Unread 05-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

check here for the adjuster-

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake2.htm

Don't forget to put plenty of never seize on that wheel,
they like to rust up, and be a pain in the *** come adjustment time
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Another trick if your replacing brake shoes is to rebuild one side at a time. Don't pull both sides apart and then start your rebuild. That way you can look at the completed side and see if you have springs in right place and so on. Another thing is to have machine shop cut the drums to have them "in the round". They will resurface, "cut" the surface where the shoe rides so they are braking evenly.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
littlebuddie
1980 CJ7 

Here is a picture I posted on another forum related to my 1948 Chevy pickup. The adjusting theory is the same for the Jeep even if the cylinder looks a tad bit different. Clockwise on the adjusting star spreads the shoe toward the drum (tightens) Counterclockwise pulls the shoe away from the drum (loosens). Each cylinder has two adjusters, one for the forward shoe and one for the rearward shoe and that is when clockwise and counterclockwise gets confusing because you generally do final adjusting when the drum and wheel are bolted back on and you are now working from a picture in your head while you adjust.

So you are adjusting through two little slots on the back of the brake flange plate. If you have a spring removal/installation tool it really helps. Brake tools are relatively cheap and you will use them again and again. A local library will have manuals you can check out. Really good advice from bigjoe, do one side at a time and use the assembled side as a reference.
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
jjustice08
1985 CJ7 

Ok, great advice guys...thanks a bunch.

Now that yal have boosted my confidence level about tackeling this job myself, can you tell me some good brands of shoes and drums?

What are some brands to stay away from....I don't mind spending the extra cash if it is better quality.
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
79BlackPearl
1979 CJ7 

wrong posting

Guaranteed to Make $$$$ with your Computer! No Risk Involved! Simply press shift-4 four times in a row.
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
DENVAR03
1986 CJ7 

HAMMER
i removed all the rear brake parts,and repainted the back plate[EASY].now i have all the brackets,springs,etc.,and i cant figure how they all go.do you have a pic. or diagram???.1986 cj7

thanks dennis
DENVAR03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.