Cj7 rear axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 rear axle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
NavyChief2009

Cj7 rear axle

Just bought a 83 cj7, after driving for a couple days the rr axle came out while driving. Thank god nobody was hurt. Anyway, it has one piece axles in it, i really dont see how the axle stays in there. I have new parts coming so maybe it will make sense, but it looks like the bearing will pull right trough.

NavyChief2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
NavyChief2009

I also have a 84 cj with 2800 miles that is perfect, i want to put a 2.5 lift on it and i wont off road it at all thats what my other jeeps are for. Any comments on the new rough country with nitro shocks?
NavyChief2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

It's a friction fit. The bearing and press ring on pressed on after the backing plate, which is the (the plate) bolted fast. The press fit has to slip in order for the axle to come out. Here's a drawing:
http://www.moserengineering.com/aitd...aitfile_id/87/
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.