CJ7 radiator rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 radiator rebuild

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
thecreeper23
1981 CJ7 

CJ7 radiator rebuild

After 142,000 miles and 32 years, what appears to be the original radiator in my 1981 CJ7 needs replacing. It is leaking at the side tanks and the solder appears to be long past its useful life. Still holding it nice and cool, but I'm planning some longer trips this summer, so I want to fix it now.

Is it better to get a Chinese replacement radiator and drop it in or have the OEM radiator rebuilt? My gut says rebuild, but I live in the middle of nowhere in Montana and I'm wondering if there's a place I can mail it, have it pressure tested, repaired and sent back to me? Any recommendations or thoughts are welcome.

thecreeper23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
rickscj7boom
1984 CJ7 

Good luck on your project, I have an 84 cj7 and when my radiator gave up I ordered a "replacement" and it didnt fit, the holes matched but it sat really high... So I ended up taking the old radiator to a radiator repair shop and they used my old frame and just put new core..
rickscj7boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/Produ...=CJ7&year=1981

try these guys, they have a montana location. I ordered one from them and it fit fine
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
thecreeper23
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the input--I'd kind of like to keep the original radiator if I can--just have it rebuilt. It's beefier than the replacement rigs seem.
thecreeper23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.