CJ7 Quadra-Trac to T150/Dana 20 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Quadra-Trac to T150/Dana 20 Swap

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
SpeedDensityZ

CJ7 Quadra-Trac to T150/Dana 20 Swap

I bought the CJ7 about 5 months ago and did ALOT of work to get it ready for the trails and the first time out the Quadra-Trac broke on me. I tried to find another to no avail so I decided to start a swap and I collected some parts.

Front Dana 30 with 4.56's
Rear Center Diff. AMC 20 with 4.56's, Locker, and Axles
T150 trans and Bellhousing
Dana 20 Transfer Case

The question is about the clutch setup. I hear a lot of bad stuff about the factory clutch linkage and was wondering about a hydraulic clutch setup. Since I have nothing because I was automatic I figured it would be slightly more expensive going hydraulic than buying the clutch linkage. I did a search and read about swapping but some people were using different parts. It seemed the most popular setup was from 80's CJ7's with 4cyl engines. Is this an easy setup to install? What all is involved? I need a link with like a DIY write-up or something if anyone knows of one.

SpeedDensityZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I actually just went through the EXACT SAME THING!! I ripped out my TH400/Q-Trak over the winter and swapped in a T18A/D20... Did my first SERIOUS off roading trip this weekend and it it was DEFF worth it!!! I went through the same feelings with the clutch, and I ended up going with the factory mechanical clutch setup. I was fortunate enough to have a friend with a Standard Jeep that was swapped to an auto, so I swapped out our pedals.. total pain in the ***!! To make it easier, deff remove the dash panel! I went with the mechanical clutch because it's so simple! People have problems with old ones but with everything brand new, no worries! I ordered the full clutch and bell crank kit from Morris 4x4 center. I used an Auto Zone clutch kit, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. I ripped out an AMC20 narrow track out of an junk yard CJ5 and rebuilt it and swapped out my parts. Cut out the tunnel and swapped in my drive train , did the JBfab.net twin stick on the DANA20. Now about your question on the hydrualic clutch, you can fab it up pretty easily with '81 CJ 4cylinder hydrualic clutch parts if you have decent fab skills, but the mechanical clutch is a direct bolt on, all the holes are already there, its too easy, and very reliable.. I've had hydraulic clutches go out on me in my race cars, but I put my CJ through hell, and dragged it through rivers and ponds yesterday with no problems lol
arg0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
SpeedDensityZ

Well, that's good to hear. I found a pedal assembly im gonna get was just thinking about hydraulic kits and less leg cramps. Lol. I think a huge problem im gonna run into is finding a flywheel for this 304. All i see are endless threads on..."i need a 304 flywheel" does anyone have one they would like to part with?
SpeedDensityZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.