Cj7 pulling hard to the right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 pulling hard to the right

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

Cj7 pulling hard to the right

I've been having this problem since I bought the jeep two months ago. When I go over 40 miles an hour it starts swerving all over the road. Just recently it got worst and now when I go that fast it pulls hard to the right almost making me swerve off the road. When it starts doing it, under the jeep starts making all kinds of noises. I don't know where to start to look or what it could be.

Mikebaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

How much are you lifted - leaf springs, body lift, shackles. What's the work history on the ball joints, tie rods ends, and steering linkage? Look up "Jeep death wobble."

Don't drive it until you get this figured out - you could hurt yourself or someone else.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

It has a 2 inch body lift and a 3 inch suspension lift with the 35 inch tires. I don't know what's all underneath because the people who had it before me said they redid the front end but so far wverthing that I've been fixing on it has been all rigged together. I not sure if it could be the brakes hanging up, the steering gear box or the bushings. It just started getting bad yesterday and it scares the hell out of me haha
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Look up "Jeep Death Wobble."

Chances are very good either your caster was never corrected, or was half-assed and a shim just broke loose.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you - correcting caster and in all likelihood replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, maybe wheel bearings, but the most important thing for now is caster angle.

Again, try not to drive it very far or at speeds over 30mph until you get this sorted out.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

I know that I need new yokes and a bigger drive shaft. Do you think that could also cause it?
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebaxter View Post
When it starts doing it, under the jeep starts making all kinds of noises.
This makes me suspect a broken frame or broken suspension parts. broken parts are pretty easy to spot, but the frame will require close inspection.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I always make sure I check steering components with anything I buy used. If everything looks good, I still get it aligned. Just cause it feels straight doesn't mean it is straight.
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
CJ7_Jim
1985 CJ7 

Check your steering mount up front.
Mine cracked and did exactly what you are talking about.
Ended up going with a Rusty's mount and that took care of everything and it's extremely beefy.
85 CJ-7, 258 I6, 35's, 4" BDS suspension lift, 1" body lift to clear tires, swaybar disconnects, Currie tie rod and steering rod, Rusty's BEEFY steering gear mount, Steering brace, Superior one piece axles, Detroit locker rear and Detroit TT up front, T5 Tranny, Dana 30, AMC 20, Dana 300 TC,TR upgrade, TJ flares, and Howell TBI.
CJ7_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

FIRST--Take it to a front in shop for a front end alignment. Untill you do that, your just guess'n and throw'n $$$$ at an UNKNOWN issues.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Mikebaxter
1979 CJ7 

After I took the tire off to take a look at it I realized that the calipers are broken off the mount and actually wobbling around. I think that the pulling if from that and I'm actually go to take a look at the angle of the driveshaft from the lift because I saw that that can cause the "death wobble."
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

What you have described is not death wobble and I have never heard of a drive shaft inducing death wobble. Your description sounds like too little positive caster and/or not enough toe in. I think the broken caliper mount was the source of your pull and noises.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
What you have described is not death wobble and I have never heard of a drive shaft inducing death wobble. Your description sounds like too little positive caster and/or not enough toe in. I think the broken caliper mount was the source of your pull and noises.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=caster+death+wobble+CJ

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.