CJ7 progress pics - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 progress pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #91
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredisb View Post
My column does the same exact thing as far as the alignment. I have the same column and 4wd tub as well. It does not look right but I believe the steering column cover is a little offset.
When I was in the drivers seat, it was obvious that the steering wheel was off to the left. I had to align it or else it would seem weird to drive. But it has to be some sort of issue with the 4wd glass tubs. Anyone else experienced this?

Unread 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #92
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

mine ended up looking just like yours did, offset in the same direction as well.

its not too noticeable so i decided to leave it as is for now, but fix it if i ever upgrade to a tilt column.

how were you able to adjust yours?

progress looks great by the way.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #93
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM3134 View Post
mine ended up looking just like yours did, offset in the same direction as well.

its not too noticeable so i decided to leave it as is for now, but fix it if i ever upgrade to a tilt column.

how were you able to adjust yours?

progress looks great by the way.
Thank you very much

I cheated a little and made a spacer to fit the left side of the firewall bracket. It only has to be about 1/5 inch. Then the column fits perfect and ligns up with the dash board
Unread 03-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #94
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

It is time for me to start making the frame tie ins for the YJ rollbar, but I figured, that since I don't have the new wheels and tires I'm going to run, it would not be a good time to make the tie-ins for the rear part. I currently have 33" tires but I'm thinking about going with some 35" tires. If I make the rear tie-ins now, I'm afraid the new tires could rub against the tie-in.

So, I started making my custom center console. The template is made in plywood, which I will cover in fiberglass when it is finished. Then it will be painted the same color as the Jeep.

Here are some pics of the process so far

This is the template for the passenger side

To make sure the arches were 100% similar, I put the two templates together and grinded them smooth

Well, I don't have access to a lot of wood machines, so I had to make arches this way. I simply cut some 1/2" strips of plywood and glued them in

Here you see the front part. This will be right below the stock dash. There is room for a 2-DIN multimedia unit and some extra switches

The little plate you see in the middle is actually the bottom of the cupholders I plan to incorporate

The rear arch filled. I'm not caring going into details when filling and grinding this. It's going to get covered in fiberglass anyway

The plate for the cupholders is glued in. And so are some more strips. Just need to fill them and make holes for cups

The center console project so far. Next step is grinding the whole thing so it will be smooth enough for laying the first coat of fiberglass. I will fabricate the lid when I have put all fiberglass on. That way I will know which measurements i need
Unread 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #95
Donobrew
1985 CJ7 

Looks great!!! what kind of lift? height?
My wife's rig: 2010 FJ Cruiser 4X4, Auto, 3" Lift, Warn Rockers, some TRD stuff
Donobrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #96
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donobrew View Post
Looks great!!! what kind of lift? height?
Thank you very much. It's a 2.5" YJ lift. Then I have about a 1/2" bodylift and I have heard, that a 4WD Hardware fiberglass has a built-in 1" lift, but I am not sure about this
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #97
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

It's been a veeeeerrryyyy long time since I posted in this thread. And there's a some what good reason for that. I'm running out of time and money at the moment, so things are going slow. But, a little bit has happened and therefor I post again . I scored some full doors from a '86 CJ7, which I'm trying to line up. Have any of you guys used hard doors on a glass body? I'm having a hard time getting the doors to line up properly. Here are some pics for you. The last two pics show the mounting bracket for the brake booster

Darn torx bolts....had to take 'em out the hard way!

Unread 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #98
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Wow, great build. Are you planning on doing a cross bar from the back of each rear loop (in the rollbar)? Are you planning on taking the rollcage to the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #99
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Hi Copper

I'm working on the frame tie-in for the rollbar. You can see the progress in the pictures below. And yes, a cross bar is also something I will make. Do you have any good ideas or maybe pictures I can get ideas from, when making the cross bar?

Using TJ style hood latches. I just like the look of these

Lining up the Bushwacker flares

Just enyoing the last of the summer sun in Denmark. Winter is coming....brrrrr.

Tie-in for the rear part of the family bar. There is a bushing in the end of the vertical pipe, but you can't see it in this pic

Tie-in at the front of the rear wheel well. This bracket is now fully welded

Unread 09-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #100
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterdk View Post
Hi Copper

Do you have any good ideas or maybe pictures I can get ideas from, when making the cross bar?
If you'd like a trick solution, buy two knuckles at Rockhard and weld in a bar. That way, if you ever need to remove the bar for some reason, it's simple.

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - Shopping Cart

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #101
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Rockhard also sells dash mounts for roll bars. I've seen too many rollovers where the bar that attaches to the windshield just collapses.

Like this:

If you want to, you might send a bar from the just behind that connection (welded to the horizontal bar just before the windshield) to the floor and then to the frame.

Here's the dash mount on my CJ:

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #102
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Sweet

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #103
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

The CJ7 project has been on hold for a while, but the other day I got inspired and started working on the ol' jeep again. I got the one piece front end hinged and I am now working on proper alignment (which is a killer)

Front end flipped open

A picture of the hinge system I made. The hinges are modified hood hinges, and I made a backing plate from 3/8 inch plate.

Here you can see the modified hood hinges. I think it looks ok

A pic of my 7-year old son test driving dad's CJ. He's looking forward to the day I can drive him to school in it
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #104
jarcher401

Nice detail. Your manufacturing skills are after my own heart. It makes alot of difference when your not pushed by a deadline. What manufacture is your tub? We got ours from Shell Valley out of Nebraska. Very well built and accurate. Tailgate fit dead nuts. My son and I are doing a similar build. Same drivetrain except a 401 and dana 44's. Here is our blog. http://quadra-trac-jeep-cj7-buildup.blogspot.com/
jarcher401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #105
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher401 View Post
Nice detail. Your manufacturing skills are after my own heart. It makes alot of difference when your not pushed by a deadline. What manufacture is your tub? We got ours from Shell Valley out of Nebraska. Very well built and accurate. Tailgate fit dead nuts. My son and I are doing a similar build. Same drivetrain except a 401 and dana 44's. Here is our blog. http://quadra-trac-jeep-cj7-buildup.blogspot.com/
Thank you very much. I got the tub from 4wd.com. It is their deluxe model with reinforcements all over. Very nice tub indeed and the one-piece front end is ok. I'm very picky about proper alignment, where the front end and tub meets, so I have spent many hours getting it right. But it is coming along. Unfortunately, after a recent divorce, I am low on cash, so the project is on a hold right now. Next step is a paint job and new tires. A set of 35x15.50 swampers over here cost 3300 dollars. Kinda pricey, I think. And a decent paint job is around 5000 dollars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.