CJ7 progress pics - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 progress pics

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #76
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

15. november 2009

Today I got the steering column and brake pedal assembly in place. I was a nervous when cutting the first holes in the firewall, but I found out that it was not that big of a deal

My first step was to make a template for the holes from my old firewall.

Here I just double checked the location of the holes. You can see the master cylinder behind it. I haven't decided if I should clean the whole thing and paint it, or if I should buy a new chrome unit. If I go the painting route, I will have the paint guy paint it the same color as the body and use a chrome lid instead. I think it would nice with the SS lines and all

The holes drilled and ready for the master brake cylinder. I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the hole for the column

The steering column and pedal assembly mounted

1978 CJ7 | 304AMC TBI | TH400 | AMC20 | YJ springs
jeepsterdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #77
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Well, I got hold of a family style YJ sportscage. I need your opinions in some areas. Allthough people for some reason has stopped commenting the progress, I know you are all Jeep fans and I hope you have the time and interest in helping me out

1: Should I paint it black or same color as the Jeep? Or maybe even chrome it?

2: Should I use a CJ or YJ windshield frame?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all

Have a great day...keep Jeepin'

Unread 11-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #78
1983 CJ7 

Hey,

Exposed is building a fiberglass CJ5 right now, you might check his thread if you hit any snags.

Painting the roll bar is a personal decision in my opinion, I prefer to color match so I would paint it body color.

I went with a YJ frame for several reasons:

1. Factory YJ is better quality that any aftermarket piece.

2. I prefer the glued-in glass.

3. I don't have to use the nut inserts for the spreader bar.

Looking good
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #79
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

243: Thank you very much

I have an aftermarket YJ windshield (new). Good point on the nut inserts for the spreader bars. I think I'm going to use the YJ ws. Is there something I have to look out for when making the holes for vent ducts?

What about that glued-in glass. Do I need a new windshield or can I use the CJ one?

Unread 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #80
1983 CJ7 

I took measurement from my CJ frame and transferred it to my YJ frame, then I used a hole saw to cut each end of the pill shaped holes and cut the straights with a grinder and cut-off wheel. Pretty easy and it took more time to do the layout than the cutting.

The YJ requires a different windshield and gasket.
Unread 11-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #81
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Color for the roll-bar is going to be personal choice. IMO I like the bar to match the body color as well.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #82
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I took measurement from my CJ frame and transferred it to my YJ frame, then I used a hole saw to cut each end of the pill shaped holes and cut the straights with a grinder and cut-off wheel. Pretty easy and it took more time to do the layout than the cutting.

The YJ requires a different windshield and gasket.
Sounds like the way to go for me. Does the CJ wiper motor and linkage work with the YJ frame?

Unread 11-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #83
1983 CJ7 

There is a tab or bracket that bolts to the motor and the linkage snaps onto that tab. The tab on the YJ windshield wiper will bolt to the CJ motor.
Unread 11-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #84
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
There is a tab or bracket that bolts to the motor and the linkage snaps onto that tab. The tab on the YJ windshield wiper will bolt to the CJ motor.
Ok, thanks.

Love the help from this forum!

Unread 02-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #85
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

February 2. 2010

So I did a lot of hole cutting today. Made holes for the heater vent and the heater duct at the windshield.
The first thing I did was tracing the outlines of the vent cover. I used measurements from the old body. The two blue stripes you see are the outlines. Then I used a hole saw and made 3 holes, just to get a feeling of where to start sawing and where to stop. I used a hacksaw with a fine metalblade.

The result came out great and everything lined up and fit. Next on the agenda was the heater duct holes for the windshield. I measured the old tub, compared it to the rubber gasket between the windshield frame and the tub, and outlined the holes. Then I used a drill bit to make a hole for the hacksaw. Very easy job in fact.

I also got to test fit the YJ family cage I scored at a junkyard. When looking at it, I saw that the floor mountings are about 4" from the body tub. Does this look right? I would think that the mount was to be closer to the tub? Please check the last 2 photos

Unread 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #86
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

i just did a yj roll bar into a fiberglass tub as well.

it looks just like mine does. i did drill 2 extra holes into the vertical part of the plate for a backing plate on the underside of the tub.

and one of the body mount bolts had to go through the roll bar horizontal plate so that required a third hole to be drilled in the horizontal plate.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #87
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

additionally, my cj soft top rails would not raise over the new yj rollbar.
im not sure why, but im guessing the fiberglass tub dimensions are somehow different.

id be interested in knowing how yours fits with the yj rollbar.
i had to cut some pieces of thick rubber to raise the soft top rail brackets up nearly 1/2inch to fix the problem. worked great.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #88
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKM3134 View Post
additionally, my cj soft top rails would not raise over the new yj rollbar.
im not sure why, but im guessing the fiberglass tub dimensions are somehow different.

id be interested in knowing how yours fits with the yj rollbar.
i had to cut some pieces of thick rubber to raise the soft top rail brackets up nearly 1/2inch to fix the problem. worked great.
If I do get a soft top, I will let you know. This will mostly be an icecream getter and only see sunny days, so I don't know if I will ever buy a softop for it. I am puzzling with the thought of making some sort of targa top out of my hardtop. I know that some companies offer 2 piece hardtops, but it must be possible to make one yourself

Unread 03-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #89
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Well, it's been quite a while since I last updated this build. Although my build seems to be taking forever, a little progress is made once in a while.

In this picture you can see the YJ fiberglass halfdoors and the YJ family sportbar. I went with a YJ windshield frame, so I don't have to mess with nutserts and what not for the spreader bars

Just a pic showing all the heater stuff is in place.

Got the sliders for the seat mounts painted. Matte black. Yeah, it's messy in the room, I know

Got the taillights and fuel filler mounted.

Sure is nice to have a seat and steering wheel in this thing again

Got the passenger seat in aswell. These seats are not the seats that I'm going to use. I just install them, so that I can make measurements for the new custom dash and center console

Yo capt'n....this ain't good. The steering was a little off to the left, as you can see when you at the hole in the dash. Just took a bit of fine adjustment and it was all good

What the hell.....who's the weirdo sitting in my Jeep? Dang...it's me
Today was indeed the first day since 1. december 2007 that I have been able to sit in my 7. That's a long time. No wonder I am smilling huh?

The most important thing when doing a frame-off is this (well, Bud's are actually just as important). Coffee.....black. Real black

Unread 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #90
bigredisb

1979 CJ7 

My column does the same exact thing as far as the alignment. I have the same column and 4wd tub as well. It does not look right but I believe the steering column cover is a little offset.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b.../#post14700472
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.