CJ7 progress pics - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 progress pics

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice job. Have one question, since you had the M20 apart why not change to one-piece axles? I know you don't have to and all just wondering why not upgrade? And nice job again.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #47
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Nice job. Have one question, since you had the M20 apart why not change to one-piece axles? I know you don't have to and all just wondering why not upgrade? And nice job again.
Thank you very much. Many people have asked me this question, but I decided to go with the stock axles because I won't be using the Jeep for serious wheeling and I don't have a big engine. The 304 isn't exactly a monster
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #48
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterdk View Post
Many people have asked me this question, but I decided to go with the stock axles because I won't be using the Jeep for serious wheeling and I don't have a big engine. The 304 isn't exactly a monster
I have wheeled w/two piece axles for a long time and one was behind the 304. It's the right foot equation most of the time. I've never had a problem w/them.

P.S. Carry a couple of nickles cut in half just in case U need a key-way

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #49
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Made a little progress and also took a step back!
Here's the reason: The oil dipstick tube for the engine had snapped just where it meets the block. That meant, that the other half of the tube was stock in the block. Taking the advice from a friend, I used a self-tapping screw to catch the little piece in the block and tried to pull it up. No luck. And then suddenly I heard that awful, awful sound "pling-pling". The tube broke off and fell down in the oilpan. I yelled a lot of words not fit to be mentioned at a public forum! Well, pulled the oil pan and found the little bastard just lying there laughing at me....bad day! Finished the day with installing the TBI unit

The day after I started making a template for my exhaust system. Yes, the spot welds are ugly, but since it's only a template, I guess it doesn't matter that much . I made the template in 3" steel tubing. The finished exhaust will be made of 3" stainless steel tubing instead and welded with a TIG welder by a pro

Unread 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #50
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Nice little engine you got there. Sorry about the dipstick issue. I have the same trouble on one I have here. Just waiting for spring to drop the pan.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #51
martyweir
1976 CJ7 

OOOO man! Din't think about it falling in. Same trouble w/ my sbc - dipstick tube broke off @ block. I just kinda let mine dangle for now! Gotta think of a way to get her outa there without haveing to pull the oil pan for the 3rd time in a year... Never any fun.

BTW - that "mockup" exhaust looks better than my permanent system!!! Nice clean work.
martyweir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #52
chadlow
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm freakin JEALOUS!!!
Unread 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #53
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Very nice job Jeepsterdk. I am new at this jeep thing. I am on the front end of a complete build myself. Will post pics some year I have a question for you. In post #33 picture, the "bottom" of the shackles point towards the rear of the jeep. For some reason, I was thinking that they should point towards the front, and the bottom of the rear shackles, toward the rear. I know this is in part due to spring length,etc. Does it matter? Could you shed some light on this matter for a rookie? Thanks.

Again, awesome job. Keep it up.
Patter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #54
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Just caught wind of this thread. Nice job man! Want to see some pics of that tub your putting on that thing!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #55
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patter View Post
Very nice job Jeepsterdk. I am new at this jeep thing. I am on the front end of a complete build myself. Will post pics some year I have a question for you. In post #33 picture, the "bottom" of the shackles point towards the rear of the jeep. For some reason, I was thinking that they should point towards the front, and the bottom of the rear shackles, toward the rear. I know this is in part due to spring length,etc. Does it matter? Could you shed some light on this matter for a rookie? Thanks.

Again, awesome job. Keep it up.
Thank you very much. The reason the shackles are pointing towards the rear, is that the springs are brand new, and they haven't settled yet. It's much better now 'cause the engine and trans are in.
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #56
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

to pretty for me. I wouldn't want to worry about cleaning this trailer queen...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
Bakunin

1985 CJ7 

A long time ago I was working on a SBC and had the carb off, so I wisely (cough) used an old pair of overalls to cover the carb opening on the intake while I worked. Well, I didn't realize it but the old zipper was worn and fell into my intake! Started it up later and ooooh the noise. Had to pull the head and get the valve reground...little thing was sitting there on top of a piston, laughing at me.
Unread 02-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #58
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

February 16-19. 2009

I started working on the wiring for the TBI. Pretty simple when following the instructions. Yes, I actually followed the included instructions this time . I didn't remember how the brackets for the power steering was meant to be, so I tried to fit them and I think they are ok?

Time to do the fuel line routing. Use Russell hose which then connected to copper piping. I still need some hangers for the tubing though. The bracket on the cross member is for the Holley fuel pump. It is actually made from an old stainless entry step I had lying around

Unread 02-19-2009, 05:08 AM   #59
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

take some grease and put in the dipstick tube then a tap that will screw in but not have a hole lot of pressure just a bit to grab the tube then take a nut and run it down the tap if you be eazy on it u will get her out

the grease is to keep stuff from falling in the pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyweir View Post
OOOO man! Din't think about it falling in. Same trouble w/ my sbc - dipstick tube broke off @ block. I just kinda let mine dangle for now! Gotta think of a way to get her outa there without haveing to pull the oil pan for the 3rd time in a year... Never any fun.

BTW - that "mockup" exhaust looks better than my permanent system!!! Nice clean work.
82 CJ5
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #60
jeepsterdk
1978 CJ7 

april 13. 2009

Just started polishing the exhaust I made in stainless steel. Man, this is hard work! Using a polishing cloth on an electric drill with some compound on it. I have only used the rough compound until now, but I will be using the finer compound afterwards to get a mirror finish. The pics give a little idea of the finished project...without the fine compound that is

The mini-me working on the Peg Perego is my 4 year old son. He means the world to me and I'm so proud of him. I asked him what he was doing and he said: "Nothing dad, just makin' the Jeep run again. It's broken once more". Yeah well....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.