CJ7 power steering swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 power steering swap

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
teufelhundren
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 power steering swap

Just picked up my 85 CJ7 yesterday... incredibly fun, but a lot of work to do!

first things first however, everything runs great. However I feel like Im driving a HMMWV with worse suspension, or a tractor

A steering upgrade seems to be in order. so, (im new to wrench turning) what parts do I need to get in order to do the conversion.

Thank you all

Derek

teufelhundren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

is it the v6?

Check on Ebay for the parts or a complete system, used. Definitely the best way to go... but you can also part the set up... you'll need-

1. Steering shaft for power steering
2. Steering box with pitman arm
3. hoses
4. steering pump sized for your engine, 6 cylinder or v8
5. brackets to mount the pump to your engine, again specific to 6 cyl. or v8 ( these are the hardest to find as there is NO aftermarket source!
6. and this link to Certifiable's write up...

6 cylinder- certifiablejeep.com - Power Steering Conversion - 258

V8- certifiablejeep.com - Power Steering Conversion - 304
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
ARJeepNerd
1981 CJ5 

Might want to check some rotting FSJs for your motor and power steering, anything labelled as a "cj" part is a little harder to find. The FSJ shafts and boxes are different, but you can get the engine bracketry and pump (hardest thing to find) from them. Box can be purchased remanned for $150 or so- beware used boxes, they usually leak. Shaft is best replaced with a Borgeson. I've tried a couple of the OEM style Crown Mfg steering shafts and they are garbage.

Also beware- over the years the 'flared' and 'o-ring' style compression fittings for the lines changed, so you may have to get a little creative with them. Hope things go well for you. I upgraded my CJ5 to power steering and it was the best swap I ever made- got rid of that tractor at high speed feeling once and for all.
ARJeepNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Several things to consider:
If you get a box from a full size Jeep (or many GM vehicles of the late 70's and early 80's) you will not need to get a new shaft or even a new bell coupler, since the bell on a CJ manual matches the input shaft of a FSJ box (I would still get the boot for the bell and the inner workings which is an omix kit) you will only need to grind/cut off the nipple on the input shaft of your newfound box. With the FSJ box you will also get a variable ratio box.

Make sure the box and pump are the same era for o-ring or flared fittings.

Just get a bracket on Eslay or post in the wanted section on JF.

Go ahead and replace the bracket for the box (and get a cross brace if you plan to wheel hard).

Try not to complicate things too much, read about conversions and find parts at the local salvage yard. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.