CJ7 Passenger Door will NOT OPEN! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Passenger Door will NOT OPEN!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Which type of lock do you have (locks on to a pin or has a latch like a house door)?

SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On my full door, I had to resort to taking an angle cutter to the plate that the latch attaches to the side of the door, and cut it. Then, I was able to move the two latch cams out of the way, freeing the door. The reason mine would not open was, the spring that releases the cams off the striker pin broke. I didn't know this until I cut the plate off.

Jerry
Unread 08-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I took the panel off and pulled on the rod that connects to the inside door handle lock lever.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #19
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

Finally got the door off. Decided to unbolt the hinges on the door and sort of lifted it out.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]...I go topless! Even when it rains... :D[/B][/COLOR]
N3wRev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Excellent, now's the time where my link way up top will come in handy trying to get it fixed!
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

Well in the process I think i may have done more damage then it originally had...just going to buy a new lock mechanism.... But thanks a whole lot to everyone for the advice!

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]...I go topless! Even when it rains... :D[/B][/COLOR]
N3wRev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #22
kwkouki
2004 TJ Wrangler 

when in doubt...rip it out!
kwkouki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

My door is stuck too. I've tried everything except for taking the panel off. Can anyone suggest the easiest way to do this while the door is still on?
PeterPatrickCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #24
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPatrickCJ7
My door is stuck too. I've tried everything except for taking the panel off. Can anyone suggest the easiest way to do this while the door is still on?
For me, i sprayed a ton of PB blaster into the interior lock mechanism from lots of angles. Next...roll down the window all the way...aim a flashlight in there.. and jiggle the handle... You can spray PB blaster right on the seized/barely moving parts if you have good aim.

After letting the pb blaster sit and penetrate for a bit....start working the lock handles back and forth (one hand working the inside...and the other hand working the outside simultaneously.). Eventually, i was able to free mine this way.
"What will all that chatter and hearsay count (will you even be able to remember it?) when the anaesthetic fog which we call "nature" or "the real world" fades away and the Presence in which you have always stood becomes palpable, immediate, and unavoidable? - C.S. Lewis"
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:31 AM   #25
crouse11c
1985 CJ7 

First does the door handle go through it whole motion or does it get stuck 1/2 or 3/4 the way through. I will tell you what is causing which ever if is. I am a magnet for buying doors that love to break. Be careful messing with it. Those handle don't fit well an on to very thin clip hold it in place.

If it moves through the whole motion and nothing happens. Then there is no fix and you will have to open the panel. Not that hard really. I would do this for any of them.

If it only goes 1/2 then something is bent inside, almost always the locking linkage has bent most likely cause of your window catching it and making it stick or worse. You will have to remove panel or get lucky and it work again. You can pop the lockin. Button out but you mostly will damage it and it might not even help. Remove panel or if the inside lock button doesn't work right remove the inside door handle and inspect.

3/4 of the way. It is caused by a miss adjusted linkage in the opening linkage. There is a knob on the bottom of the inside of your handle and this part o the linkage a small lever should not pass this. Most likely it gets stuck around 3/4 and you have to push the handle back in. The best fix for this is a hammer if stuck, or a slim Jim. I have done both. But once again pull the panel very easy just remember you prob want to get some new adhesive to put it back on.

No mater which one it is remove panel take out to retaining clips on handles inside that holds the handle to door. Then from the out side pull the handle away from the door and press down on whole handle. If it doesn't open the door you have a lock issue.

Last hit that shat with a hammer, rubber of course!! It makes you feel better
crouse11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #26
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

My Drivers door will not open with out much force, but that is because the boddy is rotting an starting to colapases. Its not really notice able. I did not realize it until I put my hard top ans doors on for the winter. The drivers door would not close correctly.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #27
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouse11c View Post
First does the door handle go through it whole motion or does it get stuck 1/2 or 3/4 the way through. I will tell you what is causing which ever if is. I am a magnet for buying doors that love to break. Be careful messing with it. Those handle don't fit well an on to very thin clip hold it in place.

If it moves through the whole motion and nothing happens. Then there is no fix and you will have to open the panel. Not that hard really. I would do this for any of them.

If it only goes 1/2 then something is bent inside, almost always the locking linkage has bent most likely cause of your window catching it and making it stick or worse. You will have to remove panel or get lucky and it work again. You can pop the lockin. Button out but you mostly will damage it and it might not even help. Remove panel or if the inside lock button doesn't work right remove the inside door handle and inspect.

3/4 of the way. It is caused by a miss adjusted linkage in the opening linkage. There is a knob on the bottom of the inside of your handle and this part o the linkage a small lever should not pass this. Most likely it gets stuck around 3/4 and you have to push the handle back in. The best fix for this is a hammer if stuck, or a slim Jim. I have done both. But once again pull the panel very easy just remember you prob want to get some new adhesive to put it back on.

No mater which one it is remove panel take out to retaining clips on handles inside that holds the handle to door. Then from the out side pull the handle away from the door and press down on whole handle. If it doesn't open the door you have a lock issue.

Last hit that shat with a hammer, rubber of course!! It makes you feel better

Mine is the first, you can pull both door handles and nothing happens. If you insert key in the door it will make a sound lock to unlock but nothing happens.

When I take the inside door handle off I can see the rods connecting the door handle to the lock. Do I disconnect at this point? Do I work on the door from this small area inside the door or do I need to physically rip off the whole door panel to get inside there to try to free the door?

I don't want to break anything that is not neccesary to get the thing opened. I ordered soft doors s this will not be a problem anymore!
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Peter,

You're problem is most likely at the latch side of the door, not the handle, so the panel will need to come off. It's not difficult, but you'll probably snap a few of the plastic clips that hold the panel in place. You can buy replacements for them.

I highly recommend you check out the link walkerhound provided early on in this thread.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #29
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Peter,

You're problem is most likely at the latch side of the door, not the handle, so the panel will need to come off. It's not difficult, but you'll probably snap a few of the plastic clips that hold the panel in place. You can buy replacements for them.

I highly recommend you check out the link walkerhound provided early on in this thread.

Matt
Thanks Matt,

Very helpful. I will try that when I get home today. I keep clicking that link and it says no thread specified. Do I need to be a member to view it?
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #30
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Peter,

Matt
I was able to remove the door panel and wrestle with the pins. It eventually opened and the doors are off. Thanks for your help on this. Now to buy a working door to steal all the parts needed to make mine work.

Thank you again.

Tags
1985 , cj7 , door , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.