CJ7 Passenger Door will NOT OPEN! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Passenger Door will NOT OPEN!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Passenger Door will NOT OPEN!

Went for a ride in the Jeep one day. Opened the passenger door, got in and shut it. Came back...I couldnt get out. I tried locking and unlocking (the lock was sticking and hard to maneuver) and it wouldnt really work. I pulled the handle...no luck. Tried the outside handle...No luck. Took the panel off the door, but no clue as to what I am acually looking at to fix.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]...I go topless! Even when it rains... :D[/B][/COLOR]
N3wRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
jeep360limited

They come with doors?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited-----SOLD
jeep360limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Here is the best reference I've found for repairing doors - you can thank JScherb, wisest of all the wise in repair and fabrication.

JScherb's door repair thread (CJ8.com)

While I haven't sifted through it, I plan to when I fix my doors up this winter.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

That reference is excellent..However, does not address the issue that the door is stuck shut. I can't get it open or off the vehicle.

Unread 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
Dustlander
1979 CJ7 

can you get in and unbolt the door striker? (the bolt thingy that sticks out and the door latches on to)
that's what i had to do to my dads when his got stuck
Dustlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

I'm going to try that when I get home from work in the morning.

Unread 08-12-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
Guitar
1984 CJ7 

I noticed that when I put the passenger side hard door on mine the other day, the outside handle wouldn't allow it to open, and it wouldn't lock/unlock.
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Gunga
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3wRev View Post
Went for a ride in the Jeep one day. Opened the passenger door, got in and shut it. Came back...I couldnt get out. I tried locking and unlocking (the lock was sticking and hard to maneuver) and it wouldnt really work. I pulled the handle...no luck. Tried the outside handle...No luck. Took the panel off the door, but no clue as to what I am acually looking at to fix.
What are you doing in the passenger side? Why aren't you driving?
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3wRev View Post
Have you tried turning the lock cylinder with the key to see if that solves your problem with opening the door? The rod that goes from the inside lock button (near the interior handle to open the door) might need to be bent a little so it moves the vock mechanism just a little more. The latch assembly might be gunked up and need to be cleaned.

If turning the lock cylinder with the key doesn't work you have two options.

1. take the interior door handle out and try pulling on the rods that go from the handle and lock switch to the door latch to see if the door opens.

2. You will need to remove the interior door panel. Then take the screws out of the metal panel that covers the latch assembly in the door. You wont be able to get at the four screws on the rear edge of the door that hold the metal panel on so you will need to bend it to get to the latch assembly. Once you can get to the latch just pull or push on the rod that goes from the lock cylinder to the latch and try to open the door.

Once you get the door open I would spray some degreaser on the latch to clean it and see if that solves your problem. If not you will need to slightly bend the rod that go from the latch to the lock cylinder as well as the rod that goes to the interior door lock button.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

Unbolting cylinder did not work. Key does not unlock it... Will try your suggestion Cjin

Unread 08-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Mine did this too. Try this....

At the same time, pull the inside and outside levers. You can do it with the window down.

Something goes "ka-flu-ee" (technical term) inside the door.

Hope this helps.....
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
mxdano
1982 CJ7 

Mine has done this several times. The latching mechanism gets gummed up inside the door and the levers don't touch it when you pull on them. When mine does it, I beat on the door right at the lock with my hand and eventually it vibrates enough to catch. Once you get it open take the inside panel off to where you can get to the latch and spray some good cleaner on all of the linkage pivot points. Then spary some silicone lube back on. This should fix it.
mxdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

Been sitting here for an hour and no luck. It won't catch I can't get it to move. Sprayed it down.... Hoping it will loosen up

Unread 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
N3wRev
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
What are you doing in the passenger side? Why aren't you driving?

The guy I got the hots for wanted to drive it

still no luck on this door. Have it open and it's not even connected to the lol cylinder and refuses to stay connected. Bout to just cut the striker off. Unbolted that too and still can't do anything.

Unread 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
-jeep-jeep-
1983 CJ7 

mine did the same thing, but i just kicked it from the inside worked for me, but didnt fix the lock
Jeep # 4 - 1999 wj stock and still pretty
-jeep-jeep- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1985 , cj7 , door , stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.