CJ7 Painless Harness 10110 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Painless Harness 10110

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

CJ7 Painless Harness 10110

Hey Folks,

I have recently installed the painless Harness 10110 in my '86 CJ7. It have the 258 I6 motor, the duraspark ignition and delco alternator as this diagram.

It was nuttered before the install by the PO and I would assume that worked.

I tried to get it to crank tonight, and it would crank but the only way to have the starter disengage was to disconnect the battery. I'm going to trace each wire to see if I can find the problem, but I am wondering if anyone has any idea where I should start?

Thanks,
Greg

Unread 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Your solenoid may have shorted internally. Make sure you check that you have the wires connected to the right post on the solenoid as that will cause it as well.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Rjax
1980 CJ7 

I had the same issue when I installed the harness a few months back. I finally called customer service. They were very helpful and got me on the right track. Do not remember what the fix was but the guy stayed on the line with me until I got it right.
Rjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Okay, here's an update: I managed to fix the problem from before, the S and I were backwards.

Now, I have no crank. There is power at the column, and the engine will start if I run a jumper wire from the hot wire in the column to the blue wire (which runs to the solenoid). I am wondering if there should be a ground that I am missing (the tub is fiberglass); or if it could be a switch issue?
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
ghbatt
1986 CJ7 

Fixed it! The painless harness was wired wrong for the column

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.