Cj7 no start, completely lost... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cj7 no start, completely lost...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Cj7 no start, completely lost...

My 1982, 258 CID, stick, cj7 is refusing to start. If I turn the key there is a loud CLICK but nothing else. If I try to turn it on with the lights on they go out. then if I go touch these 2 wires with plugs I found dangling (one of the three wires from the ignition coil-red with plug and a black one with a longer plug.) If I keep them grounded it makes no difference trying to start. I am also not seeing a spark coming from the ignition coil plug that feeds to the distributor cap. I tried replacing the ignition coil but still nothing.... could this be a ignition module failure? Can anyone direct me to steps to diagnose what could be wrong without buying a bunch of unneeded parts? Thank you in advance!

Prspallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

dead battery
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

I had the battery tested, 95% charge and I believe 12.6V. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Brush your battery terminals to make sure there's good contact. Check your ground strap to make sure the battery is able to ground. If all those check out, try a battery from another vehicle that you know works.

The sole click of the starter is a classic sign of either a dead battery or poor grounding/terminal connections.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Would this cause the lights to go off when I turn the key?
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

I assume that this means it is drawing to much current(?) so the lights are not ale to sustain themselves right? how this would relate to the problem I don't know.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

Maybe it draws enough current that the relay for the lights no longer engages?

Luis
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
W7NB
Educated Redneck

1985 CJ7 

Could be a bad starter solenoid. Jumper around it with a jumper cable and see if it turns over properly. If so install new solenoid. Also might be a bad starter. Have someone turn the key and see if you feel the starter trying to engage.
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
jeepwhore
Lucky S.O.B.

1984 CJ7 

When the ignition circuit is energized it draws alot of amps. If you're system was functioning properly you'd notice the lights dim slightly when you start it. In your case, there is a restriction in current flow somewhere. So when you try and start it the ignition is sucking the power from wherever it can in an effort to start the Jeep, hence the lights go out.

All the above are good places to start looking. You say the battery was tested, did they do a load test on it as well? In addition to the above suggestions I'd look at your battery cables. The smaller gauge discount store cheap ones can corrode inside the sheathing and restrict the current alot.....first hand experience with that one!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

FIXED! the positive cable was totally corroded but I went and replaced the ignition module at the same time anyway because the plugs looked toasted. Thank you guys!
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Unread 09-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

The irony continues...

One of the reasons it was urgent I fixed the problem was because I planned to pull the engine the next day I planned to pull the engine to start a rebuild the next day (I will start a thread when I get a little farther) and I didn't want to do anything unless I knew i could get it running afterwards. Everything went rather smooth, the next day i brought to my school where I will have space to work on it in the engines lab. I went back to my jeep to bring it to the forklift and it wouldn't start. Luckily I realized that it was the EXACT problem I had with my cj. Quick fix and everything is good, but talk about a coincidence!
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prspallone View Post
One of the reasons it was urgent I fixed the problem was because I planned to pull the engine the next day I planned to pull the engine to start a rebuild the next day (I will start a thread when I get a little farther) and I didn't want to do anything unless I knew i could get it running afterwards. Everything went rather smooth, the next day i brought to my school where I will have space to work on it in the engines lab. I went back to my jeep to bring it to the forklift and it wouldn't start. Luckily I realized that it was the EXACT problem I had with my cj. Quick fix and everything is good, but talk about a coincidence!
I recommend a more vigilant maintenance program on your vehicles.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I recommend a more vigilant maintenance program on your vehicles.

Matt
In my defense I have only had the cj for 2 1/2 weeks, I have no good excuse for my wrangler though
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prspallone View Post
FIXED! the positive cable was totally corroded but I went and replaced the ignition module at the same time anyway because the plugs looked toasted. Thank you guys!
That was going to be my suggestion. Also, sometimes a battery cable cable will look OK but somewhere down the line the metal is corroded but hidden by the jacket. Glad you got it running!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.