cj7 mounting gas tank into new frame. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj7 mounting gas tank into new frame.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

cj7 mounting gas tank into new frame.

Transfering cj7 to a non-rusty frame. Not sure how the gas tank mounts into the frame. Does it mount to the back rail/bumper of the frame??

danfrye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfrye
Transfering cj7 to a non-rusty frame. Not sure how the gas tank mounts into the frame. Does it mount to the back rail/bumper of the frame??
There is studs that stick down through the rear crossmember, if you lay on the floor and look up you will see them with a flashlight.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
paveland
1986 CJ7 

On my 86 cj7 the tank mounted to the skidplate with a strap and the skidplate bolted to the crossmembers. My rear crossmeber didn't have studs, just some carriage bolts that go through square holes. I believe the inside crossmember was just regular nuts and bolts.
paveland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Ahhhh skidplate. Makes sence. Yeah mine is a 1978 so no nubs and no square holes... But holes where a skid plate could bolt up. Bumper is bent though so i prob beed to get it straightend first? What if i want a different bumper on there? How does that work if the gas tank is mounted to that rear rail? thanks again for the help... This is helping a lot.
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
paveland
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfrye View Post
Ahhhh skidplate. Makes sence. Yeah mine is a 1978 so no nubs and no square holes... But holes where a skid plate could bolt up. Bumper is bent though so i prob beed to get it straightend first? What if i want a different bumper on there? How does that work if the gas tank is mounted to that rear rail? thanks again for the help... This is helping a lot.
Not sure about the aftermarket bumper it could replace the rear crossmember or bolt to it somehow. As far as the rear crossmember goes you could either try and pound it out, make one, or just order one online. I believe quadratec sells them.
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

the piece you guys are talking about is called the rear cross-member which has 2 body mounts on it. i cannot speak for all bumpers ever made but the overwhelming majority of bumpers will bolt to the cross-member.

as for how the fuel tank is mounted is via the skidplate. the tank is strapped into the skid-plate, and then the skid mounts to the rear cross-member, and the next cross-member forward. on the two frames i had, my 85 frame had the "studs" which are actually just small carriage bolts with keeper. the other frame i had was earlier, i forget what year, but had the short shock towers. that one did not have any bolts or anything, but i suspect that was a replacement cross-member.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

My 81 when I got it had no studs. Just regular nuts and bolts mounting the skid plate to the cross members. I did a yj tub conversion and needed a new rear crossmember so I ordered one from quadratech with no holes so I could put the body mounts where I needed them.
The rear bumper mounts through the rear crossmember. If you don't still have them there were basically L brackets that bolt through the frame and bend to the rear crossmember for the bumper hardware to go through. The rear cross member is too thin to support a bumper of any weight by itself. I hade to make my own as they were no longer on the Jeep when I got it.
pipster453 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Awesome. Yep, what you guys are saying sounds right. The skidplate was AOL when i got the jeep and the tanks was bolted and strapped directly to the frame. Kind of scary actually. so, i guess im in the market for a skidplate.

Regarding the aftermarket bumper, the L bracket attaches to the bottom of the frame rails then? And then the bumper to the brackets?
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
paveland
1986 CJ7 

If I were you I'd start searching locally for a good used skid plate. I imagine they would be on ebay but it would be $$$ to ship. Shouldn't be to hard to find on craiglist or from a local 4x4 club.

Sounds right for the aftermarket bumper, but I would follow whatever the manufacturer recommends. As previously stated I wouldn't bolt anything to the flimsy rear crossmember.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

The brackets bolt through the side of the frame. Bolts horizontal. One on each side of the frame. Two per side of Jeep. If you have to replace the rear crossmember you can drill holes in it and the brackets to match your bumper or if you buy the Pre drilled one then drill the brackets to match. They may make and sell those brackets, I never looked as it was too easy to make myself. Let us know what you figure out.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
pipster453
1981 CJ7 

I bought my skid plate off Craig's list but it was from a guy who has a couple garages full of cj parts. It was thrown in with the axles I bought from him but he was only asking $20. I don't know where you are but that guy is near Columbus Ohio.
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
danfrye
1978 CJ7 

Thanks again. It was a huge help. fyi... I ordered a skidplate from quadretrac.com... So its on the way. I may have a local shop take care of my rear crossmember issue.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.