CJ7 manual transmission inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 manual transmission inspection

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
mountainking
1983 CJ7 

CJ7 manual transmission inspection

Hi guys, I just got a CJ7 with a T5 that is unable to drive in reverse. I want to inspect it to see exactly what's going on and it's condition. Is it possible for to remove the transmission cover without removing the transmission from the jeep? I've already removed the offset lever and it appears that there is something preventing the transmission cover from removal.

mountainking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Sorry, gotta remove the tranny
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
mountainking
1983 CJ7 

Crap......., that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the answer fredrok. Anything I should take to caution?
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Well, the list is long! Anyway, some time ago I posted a link to the T5 rebuild manual. I'll search for it later
when I get the chance if you haven't found it first. If you search my posts w my username, you'll
find plenty of T5 info. I've probably rebuilt no fewer than a few hundred. While it's out, I always recommend
a good hard look at the clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel and pilot bushing condition. Also check for
excessive clutch fork wear. You know, all the stuff you don't want to go back in for.

I always suggest a new STEEL input bearing retainer at rebuild.

Many wars have been waged over the proper oil. I use Penzoil or GM synchromesh.
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

h t t p ://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf

Also recommend h t t p ://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm

Take the spaces out of the http. Hey ADMIN, are we no longer allowed to post links?
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
mountainking
1983 CJ7 

Thanks a million! I already downloaded the T5 rebuild manual actually . I'm thinking that maybe swapping the tranny with another working T5 may save me the headache because I don't have all of the resources required for a rebuild.
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

That is a road block for many and probably a good idea if you don't have much experience with them. Good luck
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
mountainking
1983 CJ7 

Oh I spoke too soon, the rebuild manual in your link is one I do NOT have, yours looks far more definitive. Thanks again!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.