CJ7 leaning towards driver's side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 leaning towards driver's side

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

CJ7 leaning towards driver's side

My "new" '78 CJ7 is almost 1" lower on the driver's side at the leaf spring connection at the front bumper, versus the passenger side. Rear is not nearly as bad, but whole Jeep leans to the driver's side. Guy I bought it from had 4" sus. lift on it, and said "they all do that". Not really true, but I let it slide for the price I paid. Looks like it could be the leaf springs themselves, but not sure how to fix/debug. Any suggestions?

CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

all the "cheap" ones do that. lol

check the frame for damage. if it's straight then get new spring...... good ones
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

It's called the CJ Lean... My 4.5" RE lifted CJ5 does not lean however!

To correct this.. you put a shim on .. let's see.. if it leans to Left.. then the shim goes on the right (pass side). This is of course if you are still spring under. But yeah.. personally I'd get a more quality lift kit. The cheaper kits WILL sag rather quickly actually.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

thanks guys. The frame is in good shape, gotta be the lift. I have heard of the "CJ lean", but didn't think I'd see it with an after-market lift. I suspected it was a cheap lift since the shocks are painted black, and no other markings to identify the make of the kit. Didn't realize it would lean that much due to cheap springs.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

was the PO like a 400 pounder? lol I'm a big guy... it happens
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
allornothin
1984 CJ7 

mine leans alittle because my front frame on the drivers side is pushed down about a half inch from wheeling the heck out of it
allornothin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

If you do some searches, you'll see a lot of info on the "CJ Lean". People say it comes from everything from bent frames from being tied down on railroad cars to a variety of other causes.
X2 on the shim. Mine pitched forward and to the drivers side, so I shimmed the passenger rear.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep leaned a little, but the passenger front frame rail is about an inch higher then the drivers side. I need to get that straightened before I box the frame, I'm sure the lean will go away then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.