CJ7 Larado: Larry, the Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Larado: Larry, the Rebuild

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

CJ7 Larado: Larry, the Rebuild

Seemsi dont have a build thread for this car so here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Forgive me lord for i have sinned.
Its been 1 month since my last jeep purchase
This time its Larry the 83' Laredo
I know i shouldnt have but he looked lonely..
He has spent the last 10yrs in a nice dry, clean garage.
His PO just looked at him, rubbed his curves and got the motor running without allowing him to roam.
He is cancer free, needs 2 new shoes and some fresh energy in his tank and he can be rego'ed and allowed to roam once more.

Please forgive me oh lord...

VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Pulled the rear diff for a tidy up, paint and new shocks.

Old shocks (i haven't removed the bushes, there weren't any)

OK... playing around with the rear OME springs today while i wait for the shackles to get here and found the OME bushes are different. The diameter is the same (measured) but the end of the bush is different (see pic)

Also OME only supply a metal sleeve for the the non-shackle end. Im pretty sure there is supposed to be one in the hangers and shackle end of the spring too but the only reference is to a plastic sleeve.

Ive since found the spring hanger attached to the chassis is slightly wider than the spring so the smaller ones go in there and the wider edge ones into the spring.

New Springs vs old springs

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Started stripping the front end in preparation of new suspension, ball joints, steering and to get the brakes working.

The good news is the bearings look new and grease fresh BUT the op didnt replace any seals so ill throw in a set. Front calipers have seen better days and only one side actually worked (the other was full of milky looking sludge and was seized) Both slides were gummed up and hardly moved which wouldn't have helped.

The reason i decided to install new ball joints was the old ones were REALLY stiff. IM not sure what the pre-load is supposed to be but these needed both hands and full force to turn. Its no wonder the power steering goans. Of course having no bushes in the springs, sway bars and no shocks made the front end feel loose as hell.

Rear diff ready to go. I have a set of Crabtree spring hangers coming to suit the YJ springs and found a good place for the bolts. RM are true to form and have no idea what their parts are and what is needed to fit the, (missing 8 sleeves and when i went and asked for them told me i needed to buy their complete spring hanger setup *(which dont list them)

If you look at the left side of the diff you can see some bad pitting of the tubes. Its something im going to have to keep an eye on as they are quite deep.

Brakes have been rebuilt with all new hardware and new drums are on order.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieFSJ View Post
Have you ordered ya crabtree hangers yet ?
Nice 7 too
Hangers are on route with new shackles to suit. Might be interesting due to LHD/RHD differances but ill work it out. This 7 has a massive steering brace that im sure was one used to hold up a bridge. so hopefully it wont get in the way. Ive found brand new bearings but old seals, new power steering hoses but old belts, bushes completely missing and seized brakes but fresh fluids.

Ive also got some new wiper bottles, doors seals, replaced all the dash lights, switches and cables. New door catches, mirrors (that dont fit lol) and ill post up the onboard air setup soon.

I know you guys have seen some of these but im trying to get them all in in one thread.

Pulled my rear drums today to fit new cylinders and found 1 piece axles, meaty pads, NEW bearings and fresh grease and everything in good condition. I fitted the new cylinders anyway and the new hardware and buttoned it all back up.

Seems the PO DID do acquaintance on this car as he said he did.

One issue though....

The new brake hardware kit came with these parts and the car doesnt have them.

Unread 05-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Got the front end all apart and started rebuilding the hubs, brakes etc but the seal kit i baught seems to be missing a seal and i cant find it anywhere. I bought new bearings locally inc the spindle bearing but the seal kit is missing the seal that goes here.

I need this kit without the bearing

The next issue i have is i cant figure out how the anti rattle springs go on. google images doesnt show in any real detail.

I finished the onboard air setup, fitted the HEO dizzy (and lost a lot of hair), fitted new leads, had the seat retrimmed, installed the new headlight switch (now the dimmer works). I'm in the home straight with the diff's and brakes now. The Crabtree hangers shows up thanks to the boys on here. Only waiting on the shackle kits and i can bolt the diff's back in. (when i find this seal)

Next issue i had is now resolved....

I managed to get some Crabtree spring hangers off an awesome fellow member but they use 3 bolts to mount rather than 2 like the stock ones. There is no 3rd hold so getting a drill bit through a chassis rail with a hand drill while the car is on axle stands is quite a challenge.

Here is the solution that my friend Mr Ebay

15 tonne clamping force AND it just happened to come with the right sized bit in the box, nice score for $100

Unread 05-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Diff's finally in. Shocks just sitting there to get an idea of lengths etc

Shock will bottom out before i hit the bumpstop so i need to extend the mounts

Shackles are mounted as per ARB instructions but clearly wont work this way.

Not only do they hit the shackle hangers they also hit the PS support.

This helps

Well after buying
another HEI
New Leads
New Plugs (2 sets)
Net wiring
New Battery
New Solinoid
Rebuild the Starter
re-Setting the timing
Removing and reinstalling at least 30 times
Bench testing (worked there)

The bloody thing still wouldnt work in the car.

I was about to give up but one more try today with a mate who is a mechanic for 50+yrs

He tried everything.. still nothing.

Then we decided to Sand the Dizzy hole, sand the clamp AND add a earth strap to the bolt.

WE HAVE LIFE!!!

Started and idled better than its ever done. The oil impregnated surface wasnt a good enough earth. Also the Starter required more than 12.2v to operate the solinoid on the starter motor. 12.4v and it worked perfect. a slight drop and the engine wouldn turn over.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

With most of the mechanical's done and the car almost ready for rego i just couldnt do it. i had to get it painted so in about 4hrs it was stripped

I found a hidden rust patch under the roll bar

But overall very little cancer in Larry.
Unread 05-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

First we start with some cardboard

Then transfer that to the steel

Required refreshment per panel...

Floors and A pillar support

All ready for burning in

Oh and this gem was the PO's Auto shifter linkage....

Unread 06-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Someone mentioned something about the weird location of the RHD Fuseboxes so here is what the dash and heater looks like down under.

Started working on this mess. Found about 10 wires not connected, globes missing, bare wires and the speedo cable snapped and a tangled mess in one end. New speedo showed up at last so after paint Larry will be a 000000k car

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Nice find VooDoo but I think your wasting your time. It sat so long it grew wort's on the front fenders and the whole interior inverted itself. I'll bet money that when you try to drive it, it'll keep trying to drive down the wrong side of the road! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Dude, I don't know if you noticed yet or not, but you put your steering wheel on the wrong side!
hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Nope, its definitely on the RIGHT side.

All i need now is the new brake booster and master to arrive that i ordered 6 weeks ago and it can go to paint.
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

I have a floor...

Its a bit lumpy and bumpy but nothing a light skim of bog wont fix..

Welded up the cracks around the seat bracket bolt hole

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

My old and new drag links.

Swapped from stock to 1 ton tie rods. flipped on the knuckles and 1" chrome moly bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.