CJ7 Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Help!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
EasternShoreCJ
1978 CJ7 

CJ7 Help!!

I recently bought a 78 CJ& with a 258. I got it from a guy that was tired of working on it and the thing sitting in his garage. I new it did not run quite right when I got it. After further inspection I realized that there was a gm throttle body on it. There is also air blowing out of what looks like a brass bolt/sensor on the back right side of the engine. It is making a whistling sound. It may be some kind of temp sensor...not sure. I also took the valve cover off and saw that the springs that are under the rocker arms are hitting on the valve cover (I have pictures). The weird thing is that it is the right valve cover. This was causing the valves to not be able to close. Basically I have no clue what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

photo-6-.jpg   photo-5-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg   photo-4-.jpg   photo-2-.jpg  

EasternShoreCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
EasternShoreCJ
1978 CJ7 

Wow guys. I am sorry for the photos. Not sure why they uploaded at weird angles. You can get the idea though. Thanks.
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

The back right side of the engine is where the line for my oil pressure gauge plugs in at.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

sorry, I couldn't see the pic before. Looks like temp sensor.
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The plug is your coolant temperature sensor. It controls the factory temp gauge.

If you are getting a leak in that area, it is most likely a leak at the manifold. Have you tightened all the manifold bolts? They are notorious for coming loose, especially the ones near the firewall, near where the temp sensor is.

Perhaps you can carefully bend the valve cover outward, away from the valve spring, just enough to clear without screwing with the bolt hole locations.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

That's the left side isn't it? I thought driver side was always left.
Unread 11-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
EasternShoreCJ
1978 CJ7 

You are right it is the left side. I was going by POV from the front. When I first got the jeep the washers on the manifold were too small. I ended up getting new bolts and washers. Now about the valve cover. I found a used one on ebay for $11. I took a torch to the one I have now and carefully hit the side out without knocking the bolt holes out of line. Before I took the valve cover off the engine acted as if it was only running off of 4-5 cylinders (No power when taking off). After taking the valve cover off everything seems to look and run fine. Would fixing the valve cover really make that much of a difference?
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
EasternShoreCJ
1978 CJ7 

After doing all of this I went to put the valve cover back on and saw that the head bolts is what is pushing the valve cover inwards. Does anybody know what size head bolts go on the 1978 258 amc?

Tags
258 , amc , cj , throttle body , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.