CJ7 heater - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 heater

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
akdanny
1981 CJ7 

CJ7 heater

My 81 cj7 heater has never really blown hot and hard. Is it a weak heater? I have a good thermostat and would rather have my engine cool than have hot air on me. But I am thinking of totally pulling out the heater and have massive room under there for other things, and put another heater (from the wrecking yard) behind my back seat on my box, just for the winter times.Has anyone else thought of this?
Dan

akdanny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
kyle_bob
1981 CJ7 

the heater in my 81 cj7 SUX! also... this is what i have been looking at investing in http://www.quadratec.com/products/92060_100.htm
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Search the forum for "Heater Blower Motor Upgrade" for many many threads on getting adequate heat into your Jeep which also vastly improves windshield defrosting.
Basically, you swap out the blower motor with one from a blazer. It spins at a faster RPM rate which gets more heat into the Jeep.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Whoever invented that poor excuse for a heater must have lived some place really warm.....

The best upgrade you can do is to put a big GM blower motor in there. It literally puts out more on low than the stock one did on high. I can now defrost 'all' my windows at -25C or lower in a snow storm (yes, even that little farting triangle in the center of the windshield) and no longer need snow pants and boots or even gloves to drive it. I can open my coat and have even needed to 'turn it down' now and then up here in The Great White North. It is soo nice.....

Here is a link on doing the blower motor swap. It fits right onto the stock squirrel cage fan, but you have to cut the firewall opening a little bit bigger.
http://www.jeeptech.com/body/heater.html

Note: get the cheaper of the two motors or the one with the shorter shaft. The 'premium' motor's shaft is too long.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

+1 on the blazer motor upgrade. Night and day difference
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
neals80
1980 CJ7 

heat who needs heat....I also have a larger GM blower but live in SW Fla...Right now I have my skins back on and it will run you out in high..but without the full skins it barley keeps your feet warm....

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Binford
1977 CJ5 

Wow... Small Jeep-world, isn't it? I'm the "Tim Taylor" that Terry Howe credits at the bottom of his how-to on the Blazer blower motor swap! Back in the Jeep-L days I had heard about this swap so tried it, then wrote some basic instructions. That was like 12 years ago! Then Chris Tucker and Terry did it and took pictures and did a really good job of writing it up.

My heater is out again in mine as I'm dealing with a lot of issues that need dealing with on my CJ. I'm going to crack my heater housing (plenum?) open and check the flaps in there. That might be part of the problem with your heater not working right. Those flaps that direct the air from hot/cold, fresh/recirc, floor/defrost have a rubberized outer edge that can dry out or tear. A friend of mine recently redid one using rubber from an old truck inner tube to freshen up those seals. I may end up doing something like that on my own.

Anyway, bottom line is, since you'd have to have your heater box out to do the Blazer blower motor swap anyway, check those seals.

But I'm telling you, replacing that blower motor makes a HUGE difference! The first time I turned that thing on, it blew old leaves out my defroster vents!
Binford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

What, CJ's have HEATERS ?????

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Renegade86
1986 CJ7 

With my heat knob set, temperature knob pulled out to "max", and blower going full bore, I get only luke warm air. But hey, I'm in Florida, so no big deal!

Last edited by Renegade86; 02-06-2009 at 01:16 AM..
Renegade86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

or my most recent favorite since i just had it done..... Windshield gasket pieces that fell through beacuse i had to take my vents off for them to do it..... mmmm smelled great this morning...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
riproar

When I rebuilt my heater box's they where packed with leaves, dust, spider webs and tons of crap. If you can get to them, defintely worth drilling out the rivets, opening up and rebuilding. Replace all the rubber seals with stuff you can get at HomeDepot. Very easy to Do. I have a brand new blower motor (for upgrade) Im selling if anyone is interested.

Thanks,Adrian
Unread 02-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
sanddudes
1984 CJ7 

Just finished the blower motor swap. Man what a difference it made. I also changed the heater core wile I had it apart. It actually gets hot now and have to turn it down.
sanddudes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.