CJ7 headlight issue. PLEASE HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 headlight issue. PLEASE HELP!!

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
jdmillenbach
1984 CJ7 

CJ7 headlight issue. PLEASE HELP!!

About a week ago with no warning the driver side headlight on my 1984 CJ7 decided to go out, not an unusual thing. Where the problem starts is that I replaced the light and the problem persisted, however, when you turn the high beams on, voila, both lights work just fine. The wiring (that's visible at least) seems A-ok and none of my electrically oriented friends can find an issue with it. Has anyone had an issue like this or have possibly heard of a fix for it??

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks everyone and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Unread 12-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

In a factory configuration, low beam for both headlights are powered by the same wire (daisy chained together).

If the driver side is out but the passenger side works, the problem is either the light itself (swap headlights to test this), or the connector/contact is bad.

Bad contacts in the connector are pretty common. Sometimes just cleaning the corrosion off will help (fold up a piece of emery cloth small enough to fit in the slot). If not, they are pretty easy to replace.

Hope that helps.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
sickcj978

I had this same problem with my 84 and I got pissed one day and punched my horn button lol and the light came back on I don't know why but it still works I think the connector on the light was bad
sickcj978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I also had it and thought connector. Jewelry file to contacts and worked for a while then went out again. Out of frustration took both buckets out and removed ground screws to inside of grill sanded and reconnected. No more problems and my yellow lights now look like HID. Get flashed often by oncoming drivers
Unread 12-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Try the high beam switch! I found that my foot switch was bad due to a bad connection
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

A faulty dimmer switch will affect both headlights, not just one.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Good idea cleaning up the ground wires, I've gone the extra step and tied the grounds to the negative battery terminal. Food for thought as they say.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8
A faulty dimmer switch will affect both headlights, not just one.
You are correct! Once I fixed the dimmer switch I found that the low beam bulb was burned out on one the headlights
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.