CJ7 with Hardtop and soft doors, will it work. Show me pics please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 with Hardtop and soft doors, will it work. Show me pics please.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

CJ7 with Hardtop and soft doors, will it work. Show me pics please.

Ok, so I just bought a CJ7 Hardtop off of craigslist and I still need some form of doors. Right now I have half soft doors and just want to add some uppers to get me by until I can save up the cash to get some full metal doors. I would like to see some pics if you got them of a hardtop and soft door combo. Also any comments on how well it works or if it doesn't work. I will post some pics of the top when the guy emails them to me. I have to drive from Montana to Cali in March and I just want some wind protection, atleast a little more than what a half door has to offer. I am not too concerned with what it will look like and I am not too terribly worried if it doesn't seal perfectly either. My main concern is wether or not I can make it work and seeing a couple pics of what you got. I apologize in advance is this has been covered a million times before but I searched and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. Thanks in advance.

~Eric

P ot Hole
If you are currently serving or have served check out
www.militaryjeepers.com
Bigskyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

I don't have any pics, but AFAIK:

It should work, just make sure that teh uppers have rounded corners some of them (YJ ones though) have square corners that don't work with the CJ7 hard or soft tops
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

My soft doors dont work with the hard top. I can get my passenger side closed, but it is rough and I had to hit it with my shoulder a few times to get it.
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics of the top:

And not to get off topic here but I also have 2 questions. The first is, I paid $300 for the hardtop. Do you think I got a pretty good deal?

The second question is, do CJ7 tops normally come with a moon roof or do you think this is some sort of aftermarket moonroof setup?

By the way, the whole top has been rhinolined, so add that to part of my first question and wether or not you think I got a good deal.
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyxj View Post
Here are some pics of the top:

And not to get off topic here but I also have 2 questions. The first is, I paid $300 for the hardtop. Do you think I got a pretty good deal?

The second question is, do CJ7 tops normally come with a moon roof or do you think this is some sort of aftermarket moonroof setup?

By the way, the whole top has been rhinolined, so add that to part of my first question and wether or not you think I got a good deal.
My 80 has the original hardtop from factory and yes it has a sunroof the opens (back lifts up)
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

Mine don't fit perfect but it keeps snow, rain and most of the wind out. Here is a link of an old post of my 7. They are the Best top two piece soft doors in the pic.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/so...estion-917747/

I had the same question then. I just need to work up the nerve to replace the striker on the fiberglass tub for my steal doors i have for winter.

Justin
jm708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
I don't have any pics, but AFAIK:

It should work, just make sure that teh uppers have rounded corners some of them (YJ ones though) have square corners that don't work with the CJ7 hard or soft tops
There are TWO types of YJ doors. The early ones have round corners and the later ones have square corners. You want round corner YJ doors!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Besttop soft doors. The softtop is long gone, but I still use the doors in the semi-warmer weather. Much easier to carry in the CJ.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillobite View Post

Besttop soft doors. The softtop is long gone, but I still use the doors in the semi-warmer weather. Much easier to carry in the CJ.

Thanks for including a pic. Those look pretty good IMO, you say they are Bestop soft doors but can you be a bit more specific please. Are they Bestop 2piece doors or supertop doors (sorry I am new to the world of CJ's and all these variations of tops and doors) and could you also tell me what year/model Jeep they are designed for.

Are they CJ or YJ doors and what year.

Once again I apologize for being so specific but I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I am in the Army and I am stationed in Germany so right now I have to find stuff on craigslist and then have my buddies or my dad go pick it up for me, I would hate to pay for the wrong stuff. I leave Germany in February so I will finally get to drive the Jeep when I get home to Montana and it is usually really cold in Montana during the winter. I just want to make sure my 3 year old son can ride along, he is as much as a Jeep fanatic as I am.

~Eric
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Montana? You really should pick up some used hard doors, they keep the warmth in much better.
Those are the two-piece doors, shown in this Quadratec link-
Bestop 51778-01 - Bestop® 2-Piece Doors for 76-86 Jeep® CJ-7 & CJ-8 Scrambler - Quadratec
I bent the door's framing to fit better, but the wind will still cause gaps for the cold air to come in. It's better than nothing, though. Above 45mph, the air leaks will cause the back seat riders to get chilly, even with the blazer fan modification. Up front was passably warm, with a jacket. That particular road trip was in 25 degrees, with wind gusts and snow.
Mine's a 1985 CJ7.
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Bigskyxj
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Trillobite, thanks for the update. I don't expect it to be a perfect seal. More than anything I just want somewhat of a wind block, I am not too picky. The main idea here was to find out what I could get away with. I sort of assumed I would have to do a bit of bending, possibly cut and re weld a few things but it's no biggie. I just spent all my extra travel money on a top I have to save some cash for wheelin and camping. Not to mention I am about to move from Germany to Cali. Once again, thanks for all the respnses. If anyone else has any input feel free to chime in.
P ot Hole
www.militaryjeepers.com
Unread 02-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

I have the 2-piece soft doors with the rounded corners. Is there a way to adjust to make these fit? Like i said in a previous post, my passenger door fits, but its rough to shut. Hitting it with my shoulder a few times got it to go.

The drivers side is completely different, it looks as there there is 1/4-1/2 inch of door that sticks out towards the upper rear.
Unread 02-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
There are TWO types of YJ doors. The early ones have round corners and the later ones have square corners. You want round corner YJ doors!
I think that it is the other way around, the later had the round corners. Of course this would depend on whether it was equipped with the hard top and 1/2 hard doors.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_C View Post
I have the 2-piece soft doors with the rounded corners. Is there a way to adjust to make these fit? Like i said in a previous post, my passenger door fits, but its rough to shut. Hitting it with my shoulder a few times got it to go.

The drivers side is completely different, it looks as there there is 1/4-1/2 inch of door that sticks out towards the upper rear.
There's a couple ways to adjust them. Bend the hingepins on the doors. Adjust the body-side hinges. Adjust the striker plate on the body. Grab each end of the door, and push in the middle. The soft doors are basically big wire frames, with fabric on them.
Question is, do you really want to adjust it? Mine was a either-or. Either I get a door that shuts easy, and has big air gaps....or, I have a door I have to slam, and get a passable seal around the edges. I'll take slamming the door, myself.
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

They are so hard to shut, it is impossible to close them from the inside. I'll try bending around and see what happens. I'll also try and take a picture of the fitment issues i have on the drivers side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.