CJ7 Grill Turn Signal TABS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ7 Grill Turn Signal TABS?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
1985 CJ7 

CJ7 Grill Turn Signal TABS?

I have these metal tabs with holes that stick out on the inside of the grill just above the turn signals. Does anybody have these and know what they are exactly for?

It looks as if the bulb shaft should slide into it if I bend it more or maybe where the harness wires are supposed to run through to keep them organized.

Also, do the turn signals mount with the bulb shaft up or down? Right now the bulb shaft is pointing down so maybe if up, the TABS make sense. I don't know.

Anyone?

258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Dunno about the tabs, but I put mine so the sockets were pointing up out the back. I figured this would help allow water to run out if it leaked in. My sockets were rusty from water leaking or condensation.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
1985 CJ7 

Hmmm, that makes sense.

If they are up, it looks as if the tabs will bent to wrap around the rubber grommet at the end of the shaft as well.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Got a picture?
All I can visualize of the hood prop right now but there is only 1 of those.

Of course there is a funny notch cut into the TS opening I was never quite sure it was about.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Got a picture?
All I can visualize of the hood prop right now but there is only 1 of those.

Of course there is a funny notch cut into the TS opening I was never quite sure it was about.

You know, I am again in this area which brings up my old post question about these tabs. I still don't know what they are for. Attached is a photo to better understand the tabs I am speaking of. They look like the turn signal wires should run through them but I have not figured out for the life of me how to remove the wires from the turn signal harness at rubber grommet. Perhaps just a zip-tie to secure those wires?

It's not a big deal but I would like to run the wires to clean up the loose wires that seem too close to the radiator.
grill-overlay-tabs.jpg

Unread 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Is that a chrome overlay? Maybe the tabs have something to do with that.
Unread 04-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Is that a chrome overlay? Maybe the tabs have something to do with that.
Hmmm, never thought of that.

This image is not mine, mine is in great shape but this is a chrome overlay and an image I grabbed off the internet to simply show the tabs better. So yes, it is CHROME!
Are you thinking the tabs might have been used for dipping purposes for the chrome application?

The thing is, the tabs are perfect for running the wires through them if I can somehow get the plug harness terminals off to route them through. It would help keep the wiring away from the radiator.
Unread 04-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
..Are you thinking the tabs might have been used for dipping purposes for the chrome application?
I've never owned or seen that part in person, so I'm purely speculating, but it seems like they would be used to somehow hold the overlay onto the grill itself.
Unread 04-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I've never owned or seen that part in person, so I'm purely speculating, but it seems like they would be used to somehow hold the overlay onto the grill itself.
The overlay is secured by screws at top and by the screws of the headlights and turn signals. So, they are not meant for hold down purposes.

If the turn signals are mounted where the bulb base is pointing upward, then these tabs can be bent to actually house the bulb base and the wires. At least, thats what I want to do if I can get the wires free.

The issue for me is that I cannot figure out how to remove the wires or that rubber grommet at turn signal bulb base on the actual turn signal housing. It almost appears as; if you can somehow remove that rubber grommet, remove the wires, run them through those tabs, feed the grommet back over the wires, that you can work the grommet back into the tab holes along with the bulb base housing. This would not only secure the wires away from the radiator but also GROUND the housings at the tabs.

It is just an odd dilemma that has puzzled me for a while.
Unread 04-03-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You could use wire ties to those tabs. Jeep used plastic wire clips that poke through holes to hold them solid with a split circle for running the loom through.
You don't want wires themselves running through metal holes, vibrations will get to them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
You could use wire ties to those tabs. Jeep used plastic wire clips that poke through holes to hold them solid with a split circle for running the loom through.
You don't want wires themselves running through metal holes, vibrations will get to them.
Yes, I may lean toward those loom tabs.

I am aware of metal up against wiring so my thoughts were to install a ring grommet; like a firewall grommet, prior to running any wires through the tab holes. This will keep them protected.

Theses tabs are like trying to read a personalized license plate that you can't figure out, lol .... it drives you nuts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.